AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tax return time is here so its time to move out the pioneer elite pro720 and move in a new projector. Been searching on here and have several opinions on what I should get but want the mass viewing population to weigh in.

Dedicated movie room with full light control.

Throw distance about 15 feet ceiling mounted.

I sit 13 feet away so projector will be fairly close to overhead.

99% movies, tv most likely watched in other room. I have thought of getting a Wii though.

Budget is 5k projector and screen. Dont have screen yet but thinking about a Carada, dont know what gain ill need.

·
Registered
485 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrick /forum/post/15457292

Tax return time is here so its time to move out the pioneer elite pro720 and move in a new projector. Been searching on here and have several opinions on what I should get but want the mass viewing population to weigh in.

Dedicated movie room with full light control.

Throw distance about 15 feet ceiling mounted.

I sit 13 feet away so projector will be fairly close to overhead.

99% movies, tv most likely watched in other room. I have thought of getting a Wii though.

Budget is 5k projector and screen. Dont have screen yet but thinking about a Carada, dont know what gain ill need.

My personal suggestion would be Sony VPL-HW10 over Panny. I've been researching for months and I have a similar environment as you. I couldn't wait for Epson 7500 and still don't know much about it because I already got the Sony but I expect it to be great. Sony is harder to negotiate on the price but you can still get some solid discount on MSRP regardless, only not as much as Panny or Epson.

HW10 is very sharp, the lack of lumens is not at all noticeable but definitely has nicer colors. It's easy to setup, looks great and since you have total light control you will not see really difference overall and IMO Sony will look better.

Bytehoven helped me a lot! He was the first one to review it and actually was the final push for me personally. Panny is definitely solid but Sony looks better and you can definitely get it to look superb.

I believe Byte said that comparing the two Panny loses color accuracy at the brightest mode where it is slightly brighter then Sony but again I don't think you'll really have any problems with it in your case.

Read HW10 threads. Excellent resource for everything.

Carada is definitely a good choice. I went with fixed frame Elite with high gain 1.8 screen. I think your choice would be great if you went with Carada Brilliant White.

·
Registered
Sony A90J panel; Marantz SR7015 AVR; Paradigm Signature speakers; Oppo 203 and Panasonic 820 UHD BR.
4,183 Posts
Yea, good advice...I'm thinking Carada BW. You did not give us room dimensions or wall color.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
You should also take a look at the new Epson 6500UB. A little brighter and sharper image than the AE3000. There is a review and comparison with other projectors (Sony, Panasonic, Benq, etc.) at www.projectoreviews.com . For a Carada screen I would suggest the 1.4 gain BW (matte) surface.

Also with a $5K budget for the projector plus screen you could consider moving up to a JVC RS10 (check with the AVS Store for pricing).

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So much info, hard to make a decision, it seems no matter which one i buy i will probably be very happy with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts