AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i posted this in the $3,000 and up fpj forum to not much response, maybe i can get help here



I'm looking at the vw40/50/60 line up.


I'd like to think i have a light controlled room, but it's hard to quantify what is "light controlled." I have one window with blinds, at night it can get pretty dark and if need be i can mask out that window. White ceiling, with beige colored walls and hardwood flooring. The vw40/vw50/vw60 will probably be about 10~11ft from lens to screen, i was hoping on getting around a 100~110" screen. Seating will probably be like 7~11 feet.


What is the best screen to get? From my understanding a da-lite's cinema vision is probably my best choice. Since I'm so close to the screen, i think i would be more susceptible to hotspotting and viewing angles. So i would think a high gain screen would not work. However, I am going to be pretty far at the telescopic range of this pj, and if i'm correct that will cut down on alot of my light. I hear the pearl loses around 1/3rd of its light at this range. So, i'm kinda at a loss as to which screen I can get. Is 110" screen to large for my short throw?


Is there anything else i should know?


now i'm hearing that i should go with a vutec silverstar or a dalite highpower...


thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,696 Posts
Au contraire, mon ami! Your specs show that you are at the brightest end of your zoom. (Shortest throw = brightest end.) You can confirm this with the ProjectorCentral calculator here. Even so, with your projector and a 100-110" screen, you will need a bit of screen gain, say 1.2-1.4, respectively, for 15 fL.


Personally, I like the Da-Lite High Power, but it requires a relatively low projector mounting and a fairly narrow viewing cone to work best. The SS is probably overkill for your situation (and it's relatively expensive).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBoy /forum/post/12848496


Au contraire, mon ami! Your specs show that you are at the brightest end of your zoom. (Shortest throw = brightest end.) You can confirm this with the ProjectorCentral calculator here. Even so, with your projector and a 100-110" screen, you will need a bit of screen gain, say 1.2-1.4, respectively, for 15 fL.


Personally, I like the Da-Lite High Power, but it requires a relatively low projector mounting and a fairly narrow viewing cone to work best. The SS is probably overkill for your situation (and it's relatively expensive).

thanks for the input mon frère! interesting...


However, correct me if I'm wrong, but lets say the pj is at 10 feet throwing up a 60" image. This will be very bright, right?


Now, if i had the same pj at 10ft away from the 110" screen with the lens zoomed all the way in, wouldn't that lessen the brightness of the pj?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrocks /forum/post/12849333


thanks for the input mon frère! interesting...


However, correct me if I'm wrong, but lets say the pj is at 10 feet throwing up a 60" image. This will be very bright, right?


Now, if i had the same pj at 10ft away from the 110" screen with the lens zoomed all the way in, wouldn't that lessen the brightness of the pj?

Yes, of course, but there are two different variables to consider--(1)the light output of the projector (PJ), and (2) the brightness of the screen in response. For a given light output of the PJ, the screen brightness varies inversely with the area of the screen, as you have suggested--simple physics. That was not what I was talking about, though.


The light output of the PJ also varies with the zoom setting. To fill a screen at a shorter throw, the zoom lens is at a wider angle than required to fill the same screen at a longer throw. Optically, the lens is "faster" at the wide angle setting than at the telephoto setting. The faster lens lets more light through, so the light output of the PJ is greater for short throw and less for long throw.


All I was saying was that your specified throw is at the lower limit of your PJ, so you will be getting the most light output possible. If you were to move the PJ further away to a greater throw, while keeping the screen size constant, you would lose some of the light output from the PJ, due to the "slower" zoom lens setting required to exactly fill the screen, and the screen brightness would decrease. Capiche?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrocks /forum/post/12847388


i posted this in the $3,000 and up fpj forum to not much response, maybe i can get help here



I'm looking at the vw40/50/60 line up.


I'd like to think i have a light controlled room, but it's hard to quantify what is "light controlled." I have one window with blinds, at night it can get pretty dark and if need be i can mask out that window. White ceiling, with beige colored walls and hardwood flooring. The vw40/vw50/vw60 will probably be about 10~11ft from lens to screen, i was hoping on getting around a 100~110" screen. Seating will probably be like 7~11 feet.


What is the best screen to get? From my understanding a da-lite's cinema vision is probably my best choice. Since I'm so close to the screen, i think i would be more susceptible to hotspotting and viewing angles. So i would think a high gain screen would not work. However, I am going to be pretty far at the telescopic range of this pj, and if i'm correct that will cut down on alot of my light. I hear the pearl loses around 1/3rd of its light at this range. So, i'm kinda at a loss as to which screen I can get. Is 110" screen to large for my short throw?


Is there anything else i should know?


now i'm hearing that i should go with a vutec silverstar or a dalite highpower...


thanks!

I have a 133" HDTV diagonal, Tensioned Contour Electrol with Cinema Vision fabric from Da-Lite. My room is same as yours: white ceiling, light beige walls and hardwood floors. I have a Pearl PJ (VPL-VW50) with a PSS-H10 attached to the ceiling approximately 16-17 ft from the screen. Seating is at 12 - 13 ft away from the screen.


I can tell you that I tested 30+ samples from Stewart, Da-Lite, Draper, Carada, etc. and I concluded that the Cinema Vision fabric was the best suited material for my application. Da-Lite's customer service is also great.


I could not be happier with my Cinema Vision screen. There is no hotspotting and very little, insignificant sparkling. Colours and contrast are wonderful.


Good luck with your decision but I tell you you could not get wrong with Cinema Vision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,502 Posts
i'm in a similar situation, light back wall, one light side wall (no wall on the other side, 18ft ceilings). dark rug covering the floor.


lens to screen is 12' 2". ceiling mounted, about 7' high.


i'm going 119" diagonal (the largest i can at my throw distance).


i'm looking at the VW60.


the consensus has been the da-lite cinema vision for my application.


now i just have to buy everything!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
494 Posts
I would also suggest Cinema Vision. I've installed many VW50/60 & Cinema Vision combinations, and they work very well together. The High Power can also be good, but for best results, you should really shelf mount the PJ.


One minor thing to consider if you go to the extreme end of your size/distance range:


With a 10' (120" ) throw and a 100" diagonal (87" width) screen, you will be less than the minimum 1.4x throw ratio. (120/87 = 1.38)


For a 100" screen, you will have to go back a smidge more than the 10' distance with a Sony VW40/50/60.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top