AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an extra pair of satellite speakers and figure it wouldn't hurt to run them to increase my 5.1 to 7.1. However, I have a few room constraints that are making this a little difficult. Let me know where you would place them!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Can you hang them from the ceiling? If so, i'd consider that route. Alternatively - From the pic is hard to judge - If there's indeed a wall right behind the center seat, you can do a 6.1, or even a THX 7.1, by putting 1 /2 speakers there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't thought too much about ceiling mounting, actually. I will need to fish some wires for a projector install at some point, but originally I was just planning on running them in the room. I also neglected to add the top frame of the entrance to the wetbar. Here's a different angle to help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_newbie /forum/post/18227282

what is the distance between the blue couch and blue wall at the back?

Currently the space is 4'. Once I get my projector (probably a few weeks out still, I may move the seats a little further forward depending on how big I like the image @ 106" Diagonal at 14.5'.)

·
Registered
2,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaday /forum/post/18227358

Currently the space is 4'. Once I get my projector (probably a few weeks out still, I may move the seats a little further forward depending on how big I like the image @ 106" Diagonal at 14.5'.)

4' is acceptably far even though 6' would be better. You could place one speaker in the corner of the blue wall and the other one symmetrically on the opposite end of the couch. Try to follow the Dolby guidelines.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Well, if you can't don't want to hang from the ceiling, you could at least do a 6.1 by putting a single speaker over the entrance to the wet bar, you could do THX 7.1 spec and place the 2 speakers side-by-side there.

If you want to do 7.1 Dolby spec, you have to move them further apart. One could still go on the wall to the left of the entrance to the wet bar (looking at the last pic you posted), and then another one hanging from the ceiling to the right somewhere to mirror it. But i would consider hanging both from the ceiling then instead, because i would expect the sound from the one hanging on the wall to be different than the one hanging from the ceiling. So for consistency, i would hang them both down then.

You could also perhaps do a floor standing setup, but i suspect that you'd have too much traffic behind those seats to make that work?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertjan /forum/post/18228353

Well, if you can't don't want to hang from the ceiling, you could at least do a 6.1 by putting a single speaker over the entrance to the wet bar, you could do THX 7.1 spec and place the 2 speakers side-by-side there.

THX 7.1 is very unforgiving from what I know. It will give desired results only with THX equipment.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The THX spec just seems odd to me... but I have an Onkyo 876 receiver, I'm leaning towards mounting on speaker as far right as possible before I get to the path leaving the room. I think there will be too much traffic at that corner to floor stand a speaker

1 - 9 of 9 Posts