AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Sorry to post yet another thread about which receiver to buy, but I don't want to screw up this purchase. I am going back and forth between the Onkyo TX-SR806 and the Denon AVR 2310CI. With the various promotions/sales they are comparable in price. I will be pairing them with the Klipsch Quintet SL speaker package including a Klipsch 12" 300W Sub.

This will mostly be for surround sound when watching movies, sports and playing video games but I do appreciate music as well. I don't know that much about all of this, so I won't pretend to know what I am talking about.

Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
In my opinion you're spending alot more on an AVR than you seem to need. You're pairing an entry level sub and speakers with a very mid-range receiver. I would spend less on a receiver because no matter how much you spend you won't get better sound quality with those speakers. You could spend $300 or $1000 and still get the same sound quality. Personally I would get a better subwoofer and at least a better front L/C/R.

I'm not sure what your goal is but speakers are at least 90% of your sound quality. What you have isn't necessarily 'bad' by any means....but it hardly warrants spending more than $300 on an AVR for those speakers IMO.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
It does depend on features though. Some budget AVRs lack features which some people might find important.

I agree that speakers have more of an impact on sound - I think every regular poster here agrees with that! ( about the only thing I see a concensus on

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys.

The speakers are just a temporary deal, I plan on upgrading those later so right now I would like to buy a receiver that is more than I currently need. And since speakers were brought up, what would be a good match for either of those receivers.

The question still remains, taking the speakers out of the equation for the moment, which AVR should I buy?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wasn't initially worried about it, but it is something I will be upgrading in the near future so I would like to get an idea of what a good pairing would be. I am having a hard time picking between the Onkyo TX-SR806 and the Denon 2310CI but once that is settled the speakers will be the next thing on the list.

Like Danielson99 mentioned, I will end up having way more AVR than the speakers I currently use can handle. Which speakers would best complement the respective AVRs? Or instead of piecing together a system would I be better off just buying the Onkyo HT-S9100THX and be done with it? From what I have read the S9100 is a good system...

Ideally I would spend around $1500 for the AVR and a 5.1 system (eventually expanding to 7.1 when I have more room), but that isn't set in stone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts