AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need front LR and center. My main limitation is space in which to put the speakers.

The room is 13' x 16'

It will be driven by an Onkyo tx-sr304

The Sub is a reasonably low end Polk PSW-10

The TV is a 32 inch LCD.

I sit across the 13' dimension in a couch.

The height is the shelf is 45 inches off the ground.

The shelf is 37.75" across, and only 5.5" deep.

Height between shelf and TV: only 8 3/8 ".

Wife does not want floor standing speakers.

We use it almost exclusively for DVDs.

I will ultimately probably put whatever we buy for the front in the rear as well, but for monetary reasons plan to keep the current cheapo surrounds for the time being.

I am renting a townhouse/condo thing, so I can't really wall mount the speakers easily aesthetically. Money is flexible if the end result is pleasing, but I am not an audiophile by any means (evidenced by the speakers you see in the current setup). I do know that I am unhappy with the sound I get currently. Dialog is especially craptacular.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you are ruling out floor standers and wall mounted and you can't re-center the unit to the right (like under a stairs???) it is pretty difficult to think of anything that will give you very good separation at 13'.

You might look at one of those "sound projectors" like the yamaha. No personal experience with them, but they might be able to fake something halfway decent for you.

-glenn

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Polk Surroundbar is a little too wide to fit on my shelf, but it would allow me to still use my other rear surround sound speakers or add some polk surrounds.

The yamaha is sort of like a little receiver. Let me read on it a bit more.

Edit: The Yamaha won't let me use my amplified front, LR and center inputs. blech.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How about the Polk RM10 (comes with the RM101s)?

Edit: separation issues would persist...

Is separation as much of a problem with models like the Mirage?

Nanosat?

Omnisat v2?

Looks like I get more bass extension with the Omnisat V2s...

The OMD-5 is too big.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, so right now I am thinking either RM101s or omnisat v2s.

The Omnisats will extend a bit lower.

Normally I would want the same type of speaker in the center, but in my situation, would I be better off with a nicer center channel speaker? (like the painfully expensive omnisat cc) This gets me extra low range extension and might let me set my subwoofer crossover a little lower. Or, will the center end up standing out too much if I do that?

The RM101s will be significantly cheaper, with a significantly cheaper center channel. But given how close together my speakers are, would I be better off with the omnisats?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Tough room for placement to be sure. I think the Mirage option makes sense, assuming the satellites are fine to use as fronts? I assume so, but have no direct knowledge about them. You may want to check out the Orbs as well. Not sure how SQ compares to Mirage, but size is right for you. Maybe configure two orbs as center and do singles as left and right. They brag about ease of placement with those speakers, but you may want to check with some folks on the owner's thread here.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great thoughts! Thanks. I had not given any significant thought to the Orbs.

They sell a 5.1 setup that is just 5 nanosats and a sub, so presumably I could do OK with the slightly improved omnisats in the front and just use 2 nanosats in the rear.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm concerned about the loss of low-midrange in all of these speakers, but especially in the orbs...It seems like a number of people are concerned about the quality of their mod2 center channels, which is of significant importance to me. I can try the orbs for 30 days risk free...

·
Registered
16,961 Posts
Don't forget the Mirage Uni-Theater. It'd fit that shelf perfectly. 5.2" x 36.7" x 4.6". 18lbs..

http://miragespeakers.com/unitheater.shtml

I've heard this thing and was quite impressed. L+C+R channel separation was surprisingly good. You could get 2 nanosats to go with it later for your surrounds. When I heard it, there were 2 nanosats as surrounds high up on the wall in the rear, mounted upside-down. I thought the setup sounded really good for what it was. Very spacious. It was running with the sub that goes with the 5.1 Nanosat setup you mentioned.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went and listened to the Mirage uni-theater today. I was pleasantly surprised. It has a reasonably clean sound. The width of the soundstage wasn't the best, but the room it was in wasn't the best. The lack of separation of the front channels was most obvious during surround effects, because the nanosats that were set up as surrounds sounded great and had great separation. That said, the room I demoed in was not entirely appropriate either.

I also listened to omnisats or nanosats (don't remember which) set up in a more traditional listening arrangement and was truly impressed. I am thinking about just getting 3 omnisats with the idea that some day I may be able to place them more appropriately. I don't see the need for the overpriced center channel speaker.

I was impressed with the low midrange in general on both sets. Should not have any trouble with a subwoofer crossover set at 100.

EDIT: Can anybody comment on the original Omnisat vs. the Omnisat v2?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.