AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and read a lot (including the 20+ page post) on this subject, but I am not a network expert by any stretch and things are not working.

Got a 2nd RTV 45x unit and went out and bought 2 Buffalo wireless routers. All I have to connect is 2 RTVs, a playstation and a wireless laptop.

Living room:

Cable Model

Buffalo1

RTV1

Playstation

Bedroom:

Buffalo2

RTV2

I tried a bunch of stuff but wasn't able to get this working. I gather that WDS needs to be checked on both and that the wireless MAC ID of Buffalo 2 is added to Buffalo 1 and vice versa.

There are a lot of DHCP settings and I have no idea what I am supposed to toggle off where and on which Buffalo. Any other settings I need to play with?

I know I basically have the most simple set up possible, but I am having problems none the less. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok. Thanks. That got me 1/2 way there.

Followed the FAQ and got a good ping both ways - from Buffalo 1 to 2 and back. RTV1 sees and can stream from RTV 2. RTV 2 does not see RTV1 and does not detect the network. So I cannot even get guide data etc. It searches and gives me an error and then a blank network page where I tried a bunch of values without sucess.

Living room (all work perfectly):

Cable Model -> Buffalo1 -> RTV1 and Playstation and wirelessly to Laptop

Bedroom:

RTV2 into the LAN 1 slot on Buffalo2. Nothing anywhere else. Nothing in the WAN slot.

So I think the only issue is the RTV2 set-up maybe? As per the FAQ, I changed the IP address of Buffalo2 to 192.168.11.100 (from .1). Everything else stayed the same. Turned DHCP off as per the FAQ. So RTV2 searched for a network and can't find anything. It then leads me to a screen with blanks for:

IP:

Netmask:

Gateway:

DNS1:

DNS2:

I thought I tried all combinations of what should go where but again, nothing worked.

I am close, but not quite 100% there.

·
Registered
841 Posts
For what it's worth, here is my Buffalo WBR2-G54S powered setup . . . . .

Buffalo 1 is acting as a traditional router wired to the cable modem (WAN plug) and a few PCs and stuff:

1) Its IP address at .1.

2) DHCP on starting at .100 with 32 slots.

3) Five static IP addresses reserved in DHCP at .120 - .124 with the MAC addresses of our five ReplayTV units.

4) Now with pseudo-static IP addresses for the five ReplayTV units, their IVS ports are opened in the NAT section using the gaming device wizard.

5) The MAC address of Buffalo 2 and 3 are set as WDS partners and WDS bridging is enabled.

6) WEP is enabled with a 128-bit key.

Buffalo 2 is acting as a bridge and WDS partner to Buffalo 1:

1) Its IP address is .2.

2) DHCP is off.

3) WDS bridging is on with buffalo 1 MAC address as its only partner.

4) Nothing in the WAN plug, only LAN plugs going to three ReplayTV units.

5) WEP matches buffalo 1.

Buffalo 3 is acting as a bridge and WDS partner to Buffalo 1:

1) Its IP address is .3.

2) DHCP is off.

4) Nothing in the WAN plug, only LAN plugs going to two ReplayTV units.

5) WEP matches buffalo 1.

So, the three buffalos are using fixed IP addresses outside of DHCP server, but inside the same network. The five ReplayTV units are using psuedo-fixed IP addresses inside the DHCP server and their IVS ports are opened. Buffalos 2 and 3 are acting as dumb wireless bridges with most of their fancy router stuff disabled. This all works quite well, with everyone seeing everyone, DVA solid and happy, poopli solid and happy and me solid and happy about it.

Bye.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. So far no change thought. I will use your format:

Buffalo 1 is acting as a traditional router wired to the cable modem (WAN plug) and a PS2 and wireless laptop:

1) Its IP address at .1.

2) DHCP on starting at .2 with 16 slots.

3) I don't know how to do this. Necessary? RTV1 has a set IP addy of .5.

4) I don't know how to do this. Necessary?

5) The MAC address of Buffalo 2 is set as WDS partners and WDS bridging is enabled.

6) I know how to do this but have declined until I get everything working.

1) Its IP address is .100.

2) DHCP is off.

4) Nothing in the WAN plug, only 1 LAN plug going to one ReplayTV units.

5) See above.

On RTV 2 - should it find the network automatically? Should the IP: address be between .2 and .16? Or .100? Or something else? I assume Netmask is still .255 .255 .255 .0. Is Gateway and DNS .1? .100? Or something else. I thought I tried every combination but still no luck. I haven't dealt with opening ports yet since while i gather it might be needed for IVS, I just wanted to get everything linked. Unfortunately I am not a network person and all the terms are for the most part meaningless.

Thanks again. I am sure that I am missing something minor.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Normally, when you set the IP address manually, as I believe you have done with your ReplayTV, that IP address should be outside of the DHCP range, but inside the local network. In your case, the IP address for your ReplayTV should be something like .50 to keep it away from the DHCP server, but well inside the local network.

I have found that ReplayTV units work best with their IP addresses set automatically, and have the DHCP server set for static IP addresses matched to the MAC address of the ReplayTV.

When you first log in to the Buffalo router, click on the Applications tab. Then select "Playing Internet Games". Then enter the IVS port number you set for your ReplayTV in the "TCP Port" box. Put nothing in the UDP box, and set the static IP address of your ReplayTV in the "LAN IP Address" box. Press the set button. This will put an entry in the NAT translation table for you.

I have also found that the Buffalo technical support people are fairly good and quick to answer the phone. They speak American English and know their products fairly well.

The main point here is to get the manual IP address of your ReplayTV out of the DHCP range, or set up a static IP address for the DHCP. The IVS port can be fixed later.

Bye. :cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahoo
Thanks. So far no change thought. I will use your format:

Buffalo 1 is acting as a traditional router wired to the cable modem (WAN plug) and a PS2 and wireless laptop:

1) Its IP address at .1.

2) DHCP on starting at .2 with 16 slots.

3) I don't know how to do this. Necessary? RTV1 has a set IP addy of .5.

4) I don't know how to do this. Necessary?

5) The MAC address of Buffalo 2 is set as WDS partners and WDS bridging is enabled.

6) I know how to do this but have declined until I get everything working.

1) Its IP address is .100.

2) DHCP is off.

4) Nothing in the WAN plug, only 1 LAN plug going to one ReplayTV units.

5) See above.

On RTV 2 - should it find the network automatically? Should the IP: address be between .2 and .16? Or .100? Or something else? I assume Netmask is still .255 .255 .255 .0. Is Gateway and DNS .1? .100? Or something else. I thought I tried every combination but still no luck. I haven't dealt with opening ports yet since while i gather it might be needed for IVS, I just wanted to get everything linked. Unfortunately I am not a network person and all the terms are for the most part meaningless.

Thanks again. I am sure that I am missing something minor.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I will try this when I get home. An odd thing was hapening this morning - without making any changes RTV2 could see RTV1 but RTV1 could not see RTV2. So they switched. Then 30mins later they switched back.

Does RTV1 (which is cat 5 wired to my main Buffalo1) also need a set IP outside of the DHCP range?

·
Registered
841 Posts
As a general rule, when you have set a manual IP address for a device, on that device, that IP address should be outside of the DHCP server range. This prevents odd IP address conflicts from happening.

Again, what is best for ReplayTV units with Buffalo (or other newer routers) is to use the router's ability to always use the same DHCP IP address for certain devices. This is done in the Buffalo; which assigns a particular IP address (in DHCP range) to a particular device by it's MAC address (the ReplayTV MAC address is available in the Network Information menu of the Setup menu) by filling in the NAT table for you (which is difficult without the help). Remember, ReplayTV boxes have this funky DHCP bug that can manifest as not seeing other ReplayTV units or other bazaar behavior. They work best with Automatic IP Addressing set. And you can then set the IVS port for reliable operation.

I know how hard this low-level networking stuff is. There are so many variables and functions - it's hard to figure it out. Just keep at it. It will eventually make some sense.

Quote:
Thanks. I will try this when I get home. An odd thing was hapening this morning - without making any changes RTV2 could see RTV1 but RTV1 could not see RTV2. So they switched. Then 30mins later they switched back.

Does RTV1 (which is cat 5 wired to my main Buffalo1) also need a set IP outside of the DHCP range?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok. Real progress now.

RTV1 IP set to .050, with a set IVS port. Went through the gaming setup and put that in. Seems to work perfectly. It connects to the network, downloads data, sees and can stream from RTV2.

RTV2 IP set to .051, with a set IVS port (different from RTV1). Went through the gaming setup and put that in. It connects to the network (yay), downloads data (yay), and sees RTV1 (yay)- but it does not show the shows on RTV1 (boo) and thus nothing to stream.

So close I can taste it. (Final?) thoughts?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Yeah. Power both RTVs down by pulling their plugs out of the wall and wait a minute or two. Then plug them back in and let them fully boot up and see what happens.

Quote:
Ok. Real progress now.

RTV1 IP set to .050, with a set IVS port. Went through the gaming setup and put that in. Seems to work perfectly. It connects to the network, downloads data, sees and can stream from RTV2.

RTV2 IP set to .051, with a set IVS port (different from RTV1). Went through the gaming setup and put that in. It connects to the network (yay), downloads data (yay), and sees RTV1 (yay)- but it does not show the shows on RTV1 (boo) and thus nothing to stream.

So close I can taste it. (Final?) thoughts?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No change. They seem to periodically "see" each other when they see each other it periodically can see the shows.

Should the ports be the same for both? Does that even matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Doodle
Yeah. Power both RTVs down by pulling their plugs out of the wall and wait a minute or two. Then plug them back in and let them fully boot up and see what happens.

·
Registered
841 Posts
If you mean the IVS ports, they must always be different for IVS to work (ex: 54000 and 54001). However, you are working on a local network (LAN) and IVS only functions on a wide-area network (WAN).

This may be a time to pray or sacrifice a chicken to the cyber-gods. :D

Quote:
No change. They seem to periodically "see" each other when they see each other it periodically can see the shows.

Should the ports be the same for both? Does that even matter?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Doodle
This may be a time to . . . sacrifice a chicken to the cyber-gods. :D
Done. No change. Now what ;)

Thanks for your help. At the very least now both connect and update. I will play around with the settings in the meantime and maybe I will get lucky and be the Shakespeare writing monkey.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is probably a silly response to your question but I believe that you Buffalo2 unit is inappropriately used. Two wireless routers can be made to form a wireless bridge but then they usually lose there function as wireless access points (both of them will lose it). Your #2 unit in the bedroom needs to be more like a wireless gaming adapter like the D-Link DWL-G820 or DGL-3420 type units and other like products. I think that you may be trying to use it as a wireless access point. If this is the case I'm sure that it is inappropriately used. A WAP is used to connect wireless device(s) into a wired network. I looked at the buffalo web site and found the "54 Mbps* Wireless Ethernet Converter with AOSSâ„¢, Model: WLI3-TX1-G54" that seems to fit the bill here. If you don't mind losing the wireless AP functionality that you use for the laptop then I think that you could make the system work in bridge mode. Make sure that you are setting up a bridge on both units. Once configured no other wireless appliances will work on these two routers. I couldn't tell from the Buffalo web site if their devices even have this functionality. I also don't know what model you have. I hope that this helps more than it hurts.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Buffalo routers can be configured to act as a WAP. I don't pretend to understand the ins and outs of these products (as can be seen from above), but they have the functionality and the consensus seems to be that they work well for RTV streaming.

As for my set-up. Everything now pretty much works. I changed RTV2 back and forth from ethernet to phone a few times and one time while changing back to ethernet I got a new message never before seen that said something was not properly configuerd and to click ok to restart - which I did. When the RTV came back online it autodetected the network and set itself with an IP address of .7. I didn't argue with it this time and just changed it over to manual IP still at .7. Everything works now. Streaming both ways. Network connects every night.

Remaining issues.

(1) Streaming. It's fairly jumpy even at standard setting. The RTVs are only 30-40 feet on apart (on the same floor) with a few internal walls in between. I thought it would be better than this.

(2) IVS/Poopli. (a) RTV1 works as it always has for IVS. I tried to IVS from RTV1 to RTV2 to test RTV2 - RTV1 could not find RTV2. Maybe that is not supposed to work. IVS tester finds both units. (b) Poopli autodetected both units, but my database online only shows programs from RTV1 and not RTV2.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.