AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about switching from WMC to XBMC.

I remember trying XBMC years ago as my first MC and it just seemed WAY to difficult to set up.

Ended up using Media Portal... liked it quite a lot.

Upgraded to Win7 and started using WMC with media browser.

Everything actually runs quite well for the most part although there are some things I have not got around to trying yet.

I've been reading a lot of threads comparing the 2 and XBMC seems to be more of a favorite as well as seeming to be more easy to set up now plus there are tons of video tuts on youtube to check out.

Here are my primary uses

Movies

TV series

....those 2 will be the bulk of it.... also

Music

Music videos

Pictures

I know the first 2 will be fine.

Did not really get around to music yet.

I have quite a large selection of music. Any vote on with MC works with music better? My primary display is a 52" LCD but I also have a second 22" touchscreen hooked up which I use for a separate jukebox program to play my music. Is there anything in WMC or XBMC that would take advantage of this? If either is not that great with the touchscreen which is better for music selection with a remote? Although using the second program is still an option.

Also would like to have picture slideshow playing with the music which I assume both could probably do well.

As far as music videos are concerned. I have probably close to 1000 of them. I would like to be able to use these like the mp3's... as in selecting various songs (videos) to be put in cue or just play the whole collection at random. Is something like this possible?

One thing I liked about WMC was that for example I could select 'Movies' to scan through my movies. But I could also set up 'separate' movie groups. For example I had my 'Kids Movies' for my daughter. Which she could select and just browse HER movies... and I would not have to worry about her selecting something like 'American Psycho'. This also leads to my next question... I also did this for things like 'Home Movies' and a few other categories. This was quite simple to do in WMC. But if I read correctly it might not be as easy in XBMC.... true or false? This is an important feature for me.

And since I obviously cannot scrape the net for details, screenshots, and artwork on my home movies, I would still like to have the same kind of details.

Is this something easy to do?

Right now I am using a gyration media center mouse remote. I would like to use my Logitech 900... what secondary device do I need to use this with my HTPC?

The bulk of my video files are dvd iso files or mkv from my ripped BD's.

I have my music in both flac and mp3 format. The music videos are all MPG.

DVR or any TV related things are not important to me nor is any internet things like youtube, hulu, netflix etc...

I think I may have had a few other questions but can't think of them right now and have to run.

TIA for any help.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
XBMC

Pros :

-> Better subtitle and audio switching support for MKV

-> More options to customize the interface

-> Better/easier plugin installation due to the online plugin repository which can be accesed directly from the interface with a remote, and some very cool plugins + iOS/Android interfaces and web interfaces

-> Aeon MQ theme rocks

-> More themes that look great

Cons :

-> PITA library management (no real-time updates, only when you start the HTPC/ wake it up from sleep mode, doesn`t remove entries for movie that were removed from the HDD unless you do it manually),

-> TMT3/5 PDVD9/10 interfaces don`t look like they were part of the media center

-> DS Player build still a little buggy (not the actual playback or interface, just some plugins like Youtube don`t work with it)

WMC/Media Browser

Pros :

-> Better integration with TMT3/5 & PDVD 9/10, they work like they are part of the interface.

-> Best in class movies/TV shows library sistem (automatic/real-time scanning of your movies/tv shows library + cool CovertART with 3D covers

-> Live TV with all the bells and wistles (EPG etc.)

-> Pearl theme rocks.

Cons :

-> Media Control is buggy and clumsy

-> Less plugins and only on iOS/Android remote interface still in beta. Plugins have to be installed using a mouse and keyboard, and they are not so complex as the XBMC ones

See here how to setup a virtual testbed HTPC to test out these media center apps : http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=virtual+htpc

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Go ahead and try them both, they can co-exist, then you get the best of both worlds - though IMHO, I Don't need the TV/PVR element so XBMC for me every time. Media Control is an abomination of a programme which I could never get to work

GreenEyez why include DSPlayer as a con in XBMC - it is a seperate branch and currently in beta testing, hardly worthy of a mention. Why not focus purely on the native/built-in DVDPlayer, which actually plays virtually anything without the need for codecs - that's another Pro - no codec installation required.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Didn't really get the main answers I was looking for though.

#1 Can I set up separate movie categories (home movies, kids movies etc.) in XBMC like in WMC?

#2 Can either of these take advantage of a touchscreen for playing mp3's nicely like a dedicated jukebox program such as Nordbeat or AlbumPlayer?

#3 Can either of these let me browse my music video collection and cue up songs like a jukebox or just play the whole collection randomly. ... or best scenerio... incorporate the videos into the mp3's browsing like Nordbeat does? i.e. select from my entire music collection simultaneously including mp3's, flac, and music videos.

#4 My Logitech 900 remote. I've seen countless threads saying to get a MS IR remote receiver... but the 900 is a RF remote...is there an RF receiver that I can get to plug in to the PC? I know it has the IR blasters but I am using them for other devices.

Also, GreenEyez, why would I need TMT or PDVD? I've always used WMC internal player for my ISO files... and usually just use my PS3 for physical discs....

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, my main reason for starting this thread was to try to get answers before installing and messing with XBMC.... but I decided to try it anyway.....

Unless there is something I am missing it seems that it can't do my #1 listing in the previous post. CAN this be done? I have no desire to pull up my movies and have to wade through 100's of my movies, over a 100 kids movies, 100's of fitness related videos, 100's of home videos, plus whatever else I have that would be categorized as movies.... Is there a way to make separate movie categories like in WMC? If this can't be done then this will probably kill XBMC for me right away....

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Lordhutt - I don't need to split my movies in that fashion and I don't think xbmc is quite as simple to set-up as MB in that regard. But, nip over to the xbmc forums - more likely to get quicker and more relevant advice than here. I'm sure I read somewhere that it can be achieved using something like 'smart playlists'.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The great thing about xbmc is how customizable it is. There is a skin, mod, theme, for almost anybody's needs. I don't separate my movies into categories but Im sure its possible. Might take a little searching and playing in xbmc and their forums but in my experience it's usually worth it. A quick search and it looks as if the shade skin has a feature you may be interested in.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=652860

·
Registered
2,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 /forum/post/19550368

Go ahead and try them both, they can co-exist, then you get the best of both worlds - though IMHO, I Don't need the TV/PVR element so XBMC for me every time. Media Control is an abomination of a programme which I could never get to work

GreenEyez why include DSPlayer as a con in XBMC - it is a seperate branch and currently in beta testing, hardly worthy of a mention. Why not focus purely on the native/built-in DVDPlayer, which actually plays virtually anything without the need for codecs - that's another Pro - no codec installation required.

Since it is the only "version" of XBMC that can do HD audio bitstreaming i think it`s worth a mention. I personally have got used to those 2 bugs and learned to overlook them. Playback works fine on it, FF/RW is a little choppy, but no other issues, crashes or otherwise. I`m eagerly waiting for the next release, once Dharma gets out the door, and i can finally do a guide on XBMC.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhutt
Unless there is something I am missing it seems that it can't do my #1 listing in the previous post. CAN this be done? I have no desire to pull up my movies and have to wade through 100's of my movies, over a 100 kids movies, 100's of fitness related videos, 100's of home videos, plus whatever else I have that would be categorized as movies.... Is there a way to make separate movie categories like in WMC? If this can't be done then this will probably kill XBMC for me right away....
Those categories are referred to as sets in XBMC. You have to use a 3rd party media manager (I use Ember Media Manager) to create the metadata necessary to sort your videos.

I would sort your categories (home movies, fitness etc...) by folder on your hard drive and then just add each folder as a separate source. Then you would just pick the category you want to see titles from under the Videos screen.

·
Registered
147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhutt /forum/post/19551260

Thanks for the replies.

Didn't really get the main answers I was looking for though.

#2 Can either of these take advantage of a touchscreen for playing mp3's nicely like a dedicated jukebox program such as Nordbeat or AlbumPlayer?

#3 Can either of these let me browse my music video collection and cue up songs like a jukebox or just play the whole collection randomly

#2 What type of touchscreen? I know they have plugins/apps for controlling XBMC via iphone/ipad and android phones.

#3 Queue? Yes..... Shuffle? Yes.....Playlists? Yes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts