AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find a receiver that outputs multiple HDMI simultaneously and links that functionality to zones (in other words, the HDMI outputs do not have to be watching the same source). I know this seems like a painfully obvious feature that would have started many years ago, but for some reason every time I dig deep on each of these receivers, the fine print notes that while they output multiple HDMI, they are not like zones and the receiver really only has one output and one zone. (Amusingly, even today's newest receivers feature "Zone 2" and "Zone 3" with composite or S-Video connectors as if anyone has those anymore. They might as well include a free VHS player.)

Meanwhile, I see companies like Atlona or Monoprice have reasonably priced multiplex HDMI boxes that simply take multiple inputs and multiplex them to multiple HDMI outputs, so it's not like the technology is some kind of Jetsons space vehicle.

I'm finding it difficult to excuse the major receiver manufacturers for not including this feature at least at the high end, but while I'm hoping I missed something, even the most expensive and latest models from Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo, and Denon still do not understand the concept that a "zone" is a different room and is likely to watch different sources than the main room just as the zone concept has always worked on receivers for decades.

Anyone have new information on when this tyranny will end and receivers will work the one way would expect them to work in a world that has been HDMI for many years now?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I actually have a mitsubishi hc3000 in my zone 2 that looks bad being fed hdmi. Maybe its because its a 720p dlp, and an older projo, but I still love its pq and my marantz 8002 feeds it component from both my cable box and blu ray player. The switchable (yep, only one at a time) hdmi outs feed either a vizio 19" or my sanyo plv z2000 projo in zone 1. Its true, dual hdmi outs is only just now being offered in lesser avr's, but I believe simul output or different sources at the same time would require multiple video processors so I wouldnt hold my breath to those kind of features anytime soon. I feel your pain tho...

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
IIRC the Emotiva XMC-1 is supposed to have dual video processors that can process two zones in HDMI simultaneously from different sources. Since I haven't been keeping current on the specs for that unit they may have changed it without my knowing. It is supposed to be out by early next year - but then again it was supposed to be out last year by this time. With Emotiva you can never know what the schedule really is.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Simple 4x2 HDMI crossbar switches are relatively cheap and easy to find. An 8x2 HDMI switch with 3D support and all the video procesing you'd expect in a high-end AV recevier is much, much, more expensive. Actually, I'm not sure if you can get one with 3D support.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.