AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As one who has owned a couple of DTC100's as well as a pre-production Zenith OTA only STB, I'll admit that I wasn't expecting much when I ordered a new DTV1080. Digital is digital, HD is HD, right? Wrong.

This thing performs beautifully, period. SD PQ is much improved vs the 1st generation RCA. Somehow 1080i programming seems improved as well yet it's difficult to describe. The UI is light years ahead. Tuning is solid if not lightening fast and OTA reception is quite sensative. The ability to output 720p as well as aspect ratio control are ideal for my displays. Now if they had only put the resolution switch on the front panel/remote it might be perfect.

These are now discontinued with no announcement date for the replacement. New units can be found in the ~$800 range but they're getting more difficult to find.

Curtis

·
Registered
33,873 Posts
Curtis,

Welcome to the big Z fan club. They are producing some remarkable HD products. For the longest time people never thought about the HD receiver being an important part of the PQ equation. I have a Zenith HDTV (with built-in 8VSB tuner). When I first got the set, I immediately noticed how superior the PQ was when using the internal Zenith HD OTA tuner as opposed to the OTA tuner of my DTC100. That's why I was very anxious to get the DTV1080. It did not disappoint! Enjoy.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I agree. The zenith smokes the DTC 100 and, as best as I can tell from reading other posts, all other STBs. Superior picture, quick channel changing and more than adequate guide. I can't believe its been discontinued.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Ross
It did not disappoint! Enjoy.
Oh I am enjoying! There simply aren't enough hours in the day, but I'm determined to get maximum time in the HT room.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Welcome to the club. I've had my Zenith up and running a little over 2 weeks now and been very happy. The upconverting of the OTA SD stuff is f**king fantastic! It almost looks HD quality on some stations and HDNet looks sooo sweet. I love that silver box, faults and all. When people come to my house and see my HDTV, I make sure to point out that it's the TV combined with that silver box sitting in my audio/video rack that makes the picture look that good.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I like my 1080, too, just be prepared for an annoying bug that hasn't been fixed yet. Every so often the channel guide and favorites list will disappear. I go into the menu and run the channel setup to get the guide back. I don't use the favorites.

Brad

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Zeke013
I still wish the darn thing would output 480i via the component outs.
Okay I'll bite. Why would you want 480i from the component outputs? You have a VHS VCR with component ins or something?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.