AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The framing on my basement will be started in two days, so I need to decide where to put my equipment so I can pre-wire my video (to my planned projector location) and speaker cables. The room is approx 19' x 21'. The wall where the screen will be is against the foundation. The side walls only come back part way, about 6' on one side, 8' on the other, and both are also against the foundation. Those sides of the room are open to game/bar/pool table areas. (For more details see this thread , but I thought it best to start a new one for this topic). On the other side of the back wall is a closet under the stairs, which is definitely an option I'm considering.

My first question I have a feeling is probably the easiest - what do I do about remote controls if I hide my equipment in a closet like that? Second, any ideas on how I could keep the equipment in a closet in the back of the room like that and still be able to connect my X-Box to it? Another option would be to build out a wall that the screen will go on and put the equipment behind it. The problem with that is there are two windows at the top of the walls (about 1' x 2') that are about 10' apart, equidistant from the side walls. The WAF on that idea is fairly low since it would partially block the outside light when we wanted it in there. I need to figure this out soon, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
270 Posts
My room is about the same size. But my walls will be solid all the way around.

I'm going to put a riser with a box on the leading edge for my connections for gaming system(s). I know they have the extender wire for this.

I'm debating on if I should but the actual box there and pipe the video/sound back, or just place the unit in my AV cabinet. For easy of changing the games, and to keep the kids out of the cabinet, I'll prob. extend the video/audio to the cabinet instead.

For remote's I'm going to use an IR repeater/distribution box. This will at least give me one spot to point the remote and not worry about someone being in the way.

I think that by placing everything behind you (under the stairs) would be the easiest.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm... I like this idea. Not sure about whether to put the console(s) under the riser though - I'd need quite a bit of cable to go all the way up one wall, the length of the ceiling and down another wall, plus some slack - I'd be looking at about 50' of component video and optical digital audio. Could be somewhat pricy, but changing games would be much easier, particularly since the door to the under-stairs closet would probably be on the farther side.

If you've looked into this already, do you happen to know if the controller extender cables would work with other game systems and/or future generation systems? Or where to look for this cable? In any case, nice idea, I'm gonna see if I can work this somehow. Thanks!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I don't know about the controllers.

Most are for their own system, only as far as I know.

I don't know about you (or your kids) depending on who is plaything the system at the time... but... switching games sometimes is like breathing for them....

Espc when friends come over... Depending on who is switching the games it might be nice or rather rough....

I'd much rather spend the extra to extend the cables because then I can always put another game system there.

I plan to put just a whole big enough to mount power and the connectors in. (separate of course) A junction box for both. This way if a friend brings over a game cube or something we can just plug in, and play. I'll paint the face covers to keep the eye sore from being seen and blend in with the carpet.

The only storage that I'll need to worry about is when we unplug it from the riser. Then I'll just pick it up and put it on a shelf or in the back corner on the riser where people will not step on it.

Otherwise it will just look like a plug and the component connections.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tend to play one game for a while, the kids seem to switch a lot more often. In any case, after thinking it over for a while, for some of the reasons you mentioned, and others, I would definitely rather have the console in the room, and run the audio/video cables rather than the controller cables, to the equipment rack. I've also looked at some baluns that will let me run component video over CAT-5, which would be cheaper than running 50' or so of component cable.

Still not sure if I want to do a riser. This will be a multi-purpose room, not a stand-alone theater, so I might just plan on getting a low TV-style stand to use for the X-Box and probably at some point another game console as well, and just put the audio and video connections in wall jacks. I'll have to think about that, wouldn't be the cleanest look. I'm just trying to figure enough of this out to do my pre-wiring, and at least I'm making some progress here... thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.