AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to set up a HDTV for local reception only. What receiver do I need to use? And, I have a 3rd story attic with plenty of room. What antenna should I use? Thanks, everyone.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Quote:
What receiver do I need to use?
There is a list at the top of this section with all of the HD receivers. You will want one of the OTA only models.

Quote:
What antenna should I use?
Go to AntennaWeb to get started. Also check out the local HD section here at AVS.

-Robert

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am in Hanahan, SC 19.5 miles from the most distance station I am interested in. I get the Big Four plus 3 PBSs with a Zenith HD 420 ($250) receiver and a Hughes HTL-HD ($500). Both do a good job. If I was just wanting the HD I would go with the Zenith. I have the non-scientive fuzzy feel the Zenith does just a tad better job on output (audio and video). It's simple to install and operate. The downside is, it's only a HD receiver. It does have a input for HD cable, but our provider scrambles the signal. Both the receivers have RGB (HDsub15) outputs. Something I had to have being that I use a LCD projection unit. Not all of them do.

My antenna is a RS standard old VHF/UHF/FM. Cat# 15-2151 $35.00. I am using no amplifier. My RF down lead is about 20'. The antenna is in my attic slam up next to the roof. I used the antennaweb.com site to determine the compass direction to the towers I wanted. 3 are in one location and the other is about 30 degrees off. I assembled the antenna in my living room with the help of the signal strength meter on the zenith. I tuned the direction of the 3 stations for maximum strength. Then tuned to the 4th and adjusted to a got a good compromise. All channels are in the 85% range. Took note of my compass coordinates, mounted in attic, and never looked back.

Keep note that the broadcast tower for HDTV may not be the same as the analog here. At least this is true in my area. It kind of surprised me.

I really like the Zenith box, I just wish I was not a w$%#% to FoxNews and Speedvision or I would not have D*.

·
Registered
474 Posts
you need an OTA (over the air) HD Receiver, there are a number to choose from, the type of antenna and mounting location is dependant on your installation. I live 8 miles from the HD towers and only need an indoor antenna pointed at the towers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.