AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.

This is my first build so excuse any stupidity on my part.

I've got an Antec Fusion case with Gigabyte board and a AMD X2 chip. Been having all sorts of troubles which I've been slowly overcoming thanks to posts on here. I've routed the Power SW to the back of the VFD, unplugged the SYS_FAN cable (does this mean the fans will just always run at the same speed?) and replaced the CMOS battery.

Now it runs for about 30 seconds and shows the below screen before switching off. I then have to leave it for a while before beging able to get it to a similar state.

Any ideas???

Thanks

Rich

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Right, I've tried a new PSU and the same thing happens. Although I am getting a different screen up, but it's still only for 20 seconds before it shuts down again. I will try to get a photo.

If it's not the PSU what should I try next?

R

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so the first screen says 'AHCI drive inhi' I think. Then 'Press Ctrl+A to enter Hyper-drive', then the screen below. It all happens pretty quick so I may have got some of that wrong.

R

·
Registered
488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdahlberg /forum/post/16998414

When a PC boots and shuts down in the first minutes normally I would think thermal protection. Is your CPU heatsink and fan properly installed and fully seated?

that's my first thought as well

·
Registered
77 Posts
When I built my new desktop last year the computer would start and shutdown within a few short seconds. I thought I had tried everything to get it to work and eventually RMA'd everything but the case.

As I later discovered the case power button wiring was slightly shorted and would send an off signal to the mobo a few short seconds after pushing it. I had RMA'd everything but the correct component.

In short, don't rule anything out.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Also, don't just go RMAing everything until you've completely exhausted all of your troubleshooting ideas. Honestly, many of my builds had something stupid go wrong just because I rushed through it... turns out to always be an easy fix.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
1st off unplug everything that you don't need to run.

What you need:

CPU

CPU heatsink and fan, plugged into fan cpu header

Memory

Video (onboard or discrete)

all power cables to mobo and the power/reset/leds for the case.

PS2 keyboard

no drives, no tuners, no USB headers

Go in and reset your bios to default.

If it boots and stays booted up for a length of time beyond what you are used to, you can now start trouble shooting.

AHCI shouldn't cause this.

Also like an above poster mentioned, you can remove everyting from the case, set it up the minimum components on a static bag that the mobo came with. Use a jumper to short the power switch. Now you've isolated case grounding issues as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts