AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building an HTPC, need to pick out a case. What are your thoughts on these two? I like that the Antec comes with a PSU which means less money spent, but I also like the fact that I can put a bigger PSU in the Silverstone since it takes a standard ATX PSU. I've heard good things about both, but haven't been able to find any direct comparisons.

·
Registered
764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fndngemo /forum/post/18193387

Building an HTPC, need to pick out a case. What are your thoughts on these two? I like that the Antec comes with a PSU which means less money spent, but I also like the fact that I can put a bigger PSU in the Silverstone since it takes a standard ATX PSU. I've heard good things about both, but haven't been able to find any direct comparisons.

I've had one of the original NSK2400s for well over a year. Can't really imagine why you would need a larger PSU. Airflow is top notch, I did replace the fans with Yate Loons though. Great case.

BT

·
Registered
701 Posts
The 2480 uses a standard size power supply...

Either way, if you can fit the Antec, it is technically a slightly superior case. With some tweaking the GD04/05s could be a far superior case, but they're not as it stands. Personally I have issue with the air intake on the NSK having to come in through a grate, past hard drives, around a barrier, then across the motherboard before getting to the cpu and out the fans. Unless you reverse the airflow, but they I tend to believe you'll end up with positive pressure in the main chamber and dead air around hte video card.

·
Registered
312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtosDracon /forum/post/18201739

Either way, if you can fit the Antec, it is technically a slightly superior case. With some tweaking the GD04/05s could be a far superior case, but they're not as it stands. Personally I have issue with the air intake on the NSK having to come in through a grate, past hard drives, around a barrier, then across the motherboard before getting to the cpu and out the fans. Unless you reverse the airflow, but they I tend to believe you'll end up with positive pressure in the main chamber and dead air around hte video card.

Interesting discussion - I'm trying to decide between these two cases myself. I suppose my main concern is the comparison between the noise from the stock fans in these cases - two 120mm (with speed control) in the Antec versus three (!) 120mm (without speed control) in the Silverstone GD05. I get the feeling that the Antec will win, anyone got any views on this? Thanks.

·
Registered
764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtosDracon /forum/post/18201739

SPCR has a nice review of the NSK2400 (Predecessor of NSK2480) here .

I use a fanless 8600GT in mine, but the 2 slots next to it are empty. This allows outside air to be drawn in through the slotted covers that come with the case. Never had an issue with heat so far, but the only game I play on it is TWG 09 and I can touch the heatsink when it's running. There's also a vent on the back of the case along with a baffel that is included with the case to pass outside air over the CPU HSF.

BT

·
Registered
993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcoupe /forum/post/18202911

Interesting discussion - I'm trying to decide between these two cases myself. I suppose my main concern is the comparison between the noise from the stock fans in these cases - two 120mm (with speed control) in the Antec versus three (!) 120mm (without speed control) in the Silverstone GD05. I get the feeling that the Antec will win, anyone got any views on this? Thanks.

Noise is always subjective, but personally I found the airflow noise with the Antec fans still a bit too loud at the lowest setting (where the fans run at about 1200 rpm). I replaced them with two 800 rpm S-flex fans, which made it almost silent. Depending on your components you may also be able to use only a single fan (a cover for closing one vent comes with the case). I only left two in because I need a good airflow for my passive CPU cooler (Mini Ninja).

Otherwise I'm happy with the case. The power supply runs very quiet even though it uses an 80mm fan (probably because it has a separate intake for cool air). Harddisk noise is not an issue either, since the case has a simple but effective mounting system with thick silicon grommets for acoustic decoupling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts