AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Antec Veris Fusion v2 case. Installed it on a ASUS M4A78-EM mobo. For VFD display the instructions are to "Connect the 3-pin power cable from the display to the 3-pin connector on the 24-pin ATX main power connector of the power supply." I did that, but the problem is that when I attach the two, my mobo status light will starting blinking green and the system does not startup. When I disconnect the connection the between the two mobo status light become a solid green and the system powers up and works fine.

Any idea where the problem is here? I really don't care about the LCD display that much...but I am more worried it this means a defective PSU or misgrounded VFD display? Like I said I don't care much about the display, but I would like the system to power through a MCE remote. will it do that with the 3 pin connector not connected? Any help would be really apprecaited. thanks.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmi2002 /forum/post/16916050

I have the Antec Veris Fusion v2 case. Installed it on a ASUS M4A78-EM mobo. For VFD display the instructions are to "Connect the 3-pin power cable from the display to the 3-pin connector on the 24-pin ATX main power connector of the power supply." I did that, but the problem is that when I attach the two, my mobo status light will starting blinking green and the system does not startup. When I disconnect the connection the between the two mobo status light become a solid green and the system powers up and works fine.

Any idea where the problem is here? I really don't care about the LCD display that much...but I am more worried it this means a defective PSU or misgrounded VFD display? Like I said I don't care much about the display, but I would like the system to power through a MCE remote. will it do that with the 3 pin connector not connected? Any help would be really apprecaited. thanks.

This is my observation so DO AT YOUR OWN RISK I MAKE NO PROMISES. I have the same case, and I happen to have the same exact problem. Do you have an ASUS motherboard? p5n7a? After much frustration, I decided to go ahead and plug in the VFD after the power has been attached. Not when the PC is powered on mind you, but when the PSU is powered on and the MOBO light is green. The VFD works fine, but if you ever have to do a hard reset which requires powering down the PSU you have to disconnect the vfd and reconnect it after the power supply has been turned on.

Mike

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks this did the trick. Like you said kind of annoying that I have to disconnect and reconnect eat time the power is disconnected or turned off from the back. Does the 3 pin connector have to come from the 24 pin main power connector. I wonder in thats faulty. Can I buy a standard 4 prong power to 3 pin connector and see if that'll solve the problem?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmi2002 /forum/post/16927774

Thanks this did the trick. Like you said kind of annoying that I have to disconnect and reconnect eat time the power is disconnected or turned off from the back. Does the 3 pin connector have to come from the 24 pin main power connector. I wonder in thats faulty. Can I buy a standard 4 prong power to 3 pin connector and see if that'll solve the problem?

I don't know, that's beyond my knowledge. Considering I'm using the PSU that came with the Case you'd think it should be designed properly. Maybe someone else could shed some light.

Mike

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
This is the way it should be wired:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone /forum/post/14284896

If you have wired the VFD "correctly", i.e.

- The case/VFD has a special connector that plugs the VFD directly into the PSU, this should be connected.

- The VFD has a 2 pin connector that plugs into the VFD (may have to remove front panel to connect this) on one side, and into the motherboard "PWR BTN" (or similar) header on the other side, this should be connected.

- The internal USB cable from the VFD is plugged into an internal USB header THAT HAS STANDBY voltage on it, this should be connected.

then:

- If your PSU is turned on (meaning the back off/on switch) but the computer is off as such, the VFD will still be powered on and will display the date/time. The computer can be turned off/on via the remote.

- If your PSU is turned on (meaning the back off/on switch) and the computer is ON, but no drivers loaded, the VFD will still be powered on and will display the date/time. The computer can be turned on/off via the remote.

- If your PSU is turned on (meaning the back off/on switch) and the computer is on, and the drivers are loaded, then the VFD will show additional information (like Media, news etc) depending on how you have it configured. The computer can be turned on/off via the remote.

If the PSU is off in the back (on/off switch), the VFD is off.

Hope this helps.

Some pics can be found earlier in that thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post12118607

·
Registered
2,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd /forum/post/16928555

This is the way it should be wired:

Some pics can be found earlier in that thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post12118607

The system works as it should, meaning the LCD stays on when the PC is off ect... The one thing that doesn't work as expected is the turning off the main power and turning it back on. It might be a MOBO issue, I don't know. The MOBO doesn't like it and flashes if the VFD is connected.

Mike

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Hey guys,

I ran into this problem when I assembled my htpc about 2 months ago. I did similar to what you guys did to power up. While researching this issue I had read something about some USB power thing...basically I unplugged all my USB devices, on board and on the back panel, and re-attached after it booted up.

In the end I went out on a limb and bought a new power supply. Thankfully it resolved my issue. I also have an asus motherboard.

I am currently looking for a way to power the vfd display now though. Anyone have an idea where I can find some sort of an adapter?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/16944386

Holly crap Fanta, yours would be how NOT to post.

On the second paragraph u said u resolved the issue

Then on the third paragraph now u say it doesn't work.

Can u be more coherent?

The solution that worked for me is the new power supply.

My initial problem was when any USB was connected, including the VFD display, the system would not power up, only a blinking light on the motherboard. I assumed it was one USB device, come to find out that any USB plugged into the motherboard would cause no boot and blinking light. I would advise that people with this problem to make sure that it isn't just the VFD but any other USB causes a no boot....

I researched and found on the web that it had to do with some USB power problem that could be related to either the motherboard or PSU. But as I stated clearly:

"In the end I went out on a limb and bought a new power supply. Thankfully it resolved my issue"

So to anyone that has an extra power supply on hand, try it out. Can't hurt. My system powers on and off perfectly now with any USB device connected whereas it did not before.

My next question, which was not contradicting, had to do with the VFD's power cable. If you have this case then you have seen how antec added a special power cable that routes off of the Motherboard's power connecter. I am about 99% sure that it will work as it wasn't specifically the VFD's USB connection that was causing that problem, and once I get the VFD properly powered up, it will work fine. All observations considered it makes perfect sense.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts