AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
This week the local cable provider decided to encrypt all basic channels, so I think it's time to start shopping for an antenna.

My TvFool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=f1f0e33e9b8d03

For simplicity I would like to install an antenna in the attic and use the existing cabling. There is one run up there that I could splice then re-configure the splitter where the cable comes in from outside at the panel. This would also be something I could do myself.

I am open to a roof install if that would be worth the extra effort (would have to be professionally done).

This will mostly be going to one TV (Panasonic VT60), but would ideally be connected to 2 additional sets (LCD in the bedroom, with the attic run, and a small LCD in the basement). All of these are currently connected through the splitter at the panel.

I imagine I will need an amp give the distance of the runs.

A local seller quoted $425 to install a Focus 8-bay antenna, but I can't find much info on that antenna and don't know if it's appropriate.

I'd rather avoid clones and am looking to purchase a quality antenna, but I really don't know what I need.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
This week the local cable provider decided to encrypt all basic channels, so I think it's time to start shopping for an antenna.

My TvFool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=f1f0e33e9b8d03

For simplicity I would like to install an antenna in the attic and use the existing cabling. There is one run up there that I could splice then re-configure the splitter where the cable comes in from outside at the panel. This would also be something I could do myself.

I am open to a roof install if that would be worth the extra effort (would have to be professionally done).

This will mostly be going to one TV (Panasonic VT60), but would ideally be connected to 2 additional sets (LCD in the bedroom, with the attic run, and a small LCD in the basement). All of these are currently connected through the splitter at the panel.

I imagine I will need an amp give the distance of the runs.

A local seller quoted $425 to install a Focus 8-bay antenna, but I can't find much info on that antenna and don't know if it's appropriate.

I'd rather avoid clones and am looking to purchase a quality antenna, but I really don't know what I need.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
If you're only concerned with receiving Toronto and Hamilton, then that won't be too hard. An attic install would be adequate for that, but you are also certainly within reach of receiving Buffalo stations if you're willing to install the antenna on the roof. Installing the antenna on the roof will typically give a lot more improvement, preventing about a 20 dB loss in the noise margins. You need at least a positive NM to work with, and the Buffalo stations have low noise margins that you would certainly risk losing with an attic mount. I recommend the HBU33.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Thanks for the advice!

It would be great to get the Buffalo stations and the roof install might actually make it easier to tie into the existing network.

Is this the antenna you're recommending?
http://www.amazon.ca/AntennaCraft-HBU33-Series-Antenna-High-Band/dp/B003EB03OK
Yes, that's it.

You need something capable of both UHF and VHF-high. That's why I recommend the HBU33. It has pretty decent gain, not the absolute best, but it's a good overall performer. If you point it toward Buffalo, you have a good chance of also receiving Toronto since those signals are already strong. So a rotor may likely not be necessary.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A local retailer is suggesting I'd need a tower for the yagi style antennae and is recommending I look at the Antennas Direct DB4e or DB8e along with a pre-amp, these are listed as UHF only antennae though. Looking at the TVFool report, it seems like most of the channels I can pull are above 14 and these seems common in my neighbourhood.

This OTA venture sure is a deep rabbit hole to venture into!!

:D

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
A local retailer is suggesting I'd need a tower for the yagi style antennae and is recommending I look at the Antennas Direct DB4e or DB8e along with a pre-amp, these are listed as UHF only antennae though. Looking at the TVFool report, it seems like most of the channels I can pull are above 14 and these seems common in my neighbourhood.

This OTA venture sure is a deep rabbit hole to venture into!!

:D
A tower??? You may not need a tower unless you have any large hills or buildings nearby which would block signals from that direction. Distant hills or building won't affect reception as much, because the signals diffract around them.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Adjust your antenna elevation on TV Fool and see if that improves the weaker stations. That's typically a good indicator if you're a good candidate for a tower. For me, it doesn't make much difference increasing from 10 feet to 100 feet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts