Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Sorry if this is a common request but I can't think of what to search on for this...

I just moved into a new townhouse in Manassas VA. I recently did the $99 directv HDTV deal and received my samsung HD receiver. I called Fairfax Antenna earlier last week to schedule an antenna install. Well, today when looking in my addic I saw there was an antenna, and it could only lead to the coax in my living room. I know, dumb of me not to check first.

I hooked it up to the samsung and it reads 69% signal on channel 7-1 (abc) and 20% on 9-1 (cbs)

Both are coming in right now but it's just SD, nothing HD will be on until tomorrow night.

So my question is, considering that all major networks in my area have a digital transmission, is this simply a matter of aiming my antenna better/adding a preamp, or is there more to it?

Thanks in advance,

-Ed

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by edrock200
Hey all,

Sorry if this is a common request but I can't think of what to search on for this...

I just moved into a new townhouse in Manassas VA. I recently did the $99 directv HDTV deal and received my samsung HD receiver. I called Fairfax Antenna earlier last week to schedule an antenna install. Well, today when looking in my addic I saw there was an antenna, and it could only lead to the coax in my living room. I know, dumb of me not to check first.

I hooked it up to the samsung and it reads 69% signal on channel 7-1 (abc) and 20% on 9-1 (cbs)

Both are coming in right now but it's just SD, nothing HD will be on until tomorrow night.

So my question is, considering that all major networks in my area have a digital transmission, is this simply a matter of aiming my antenna better/adding a preamp, or is there more to it?
Well, if it works... ;)

If there's no preamp, certainly adding a good low noise one would help, unless you're real close to some transmitters you need to receive, then a preamp might possibly be overloaded by those signals and you'd either need to attenuate those frequencies, or get a lower gain preamp.

Depending on whether your digital stations are all UHF or some are VHF, you might do better with a good UHF-only antenna that'd have better gain than what's on the antenna in there now. It's certainly worth some effort to re-aim it properly, though. A lot of people aim them 180° off not realizing you need to point the UHF part of it towards the transmitters -- it looks backward to them that way. :)

But there's no special "HD" antenna; any antenna will work. And as you've noted you're getting a picture. It doesn't matter that's it's all SD; if you've got the digital signal coming in at all, you've got it coming in for everything transmitted. 20% seems kinda low, so I'd be aiming for getting that improved one way or another.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great. Thanks for the info. I'll try to reaim it tomorrow and see if I have better luck. Worst case scenario I'll ask the guys at Fairfax Antenna if they can do anything with it.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Fairfax is one of the best. It's worth it for your own peace of mind to have them do an install. When they're done, you'll have rock-solid reception of all the digitals. Your current attic antenna will probably never give you that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.