AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, So I thinking installing a new Antenna, Does brand mean anything. Like do you feel that Winegard is the same as ChannelMaster or is RadioShack ok, So in another words are they all the same ? And do you have a preference on an Amp ??

Steve K.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
In general, most antenna brands are Ok. Terk seems to get more flack than most, due to high prices and mediocre performance, especially in regards to their "HDTV" products. CM & Winegard have the largest product lineups and are very well regarded. RS antennas also work fine, but aren't built quite as well, an advantage there is the liberal return policy. There are a few other less known brands that get good reviews, among them, Antenna Performance and Wade. Broadcasters are big users of Blonder Tounge products.

For indoor applications, the Silver Sensor & RS amplified models get recommended often here.

In the September 2001 issue of Stereophile Guide to Home Theater, there is a great article about selecting, installing and optimizing terrestrial DTV reception. It also reviews a slew of Channel Master, Winegard and Terk products. And yes, it confirms what most here think about Terk DTV products.

I found this very informative and recommend anyone with antenna questions pick up this issue, which is at newsstands now.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ken,

I'm looking for a Big Antenna to work in my attic, Need to pick up a channel 60 miles away in the blue section on the antennaweb.org, Also it says need an Amp.

Will an Antenna pick up digital signal if it picks up the analog signal ok ?

Steve K.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H:
Broadcasters are big users of Blonder Tounge products.

Ken, I can attest to the performance of Blonder Tongue. I was having no luck picking up CBS from about 40 miles away through a mountain. An installer ordered me a cut antenna for CBS (Channel 19 here in Atlanta) from Blonder Tongue and immeadiately I received 100% signal strength in my attic. I had previously tried a Channel Master 8 bay bow tie and Wineguard both in my attic and on my roof with 0% signal strength. My 120" RS in my attic was picking up ABC, NBC and FOX but 0% on CBS. The antenna was expensive.....but now I have CBS. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
bmello-

Did you have an amp or pre-amp on that? Can we get an address, and a stat sheet on them? Thanks for the info.

Regards- Wolvernole

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.