AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a coax running directly from my roof mounted antenna directly to my Samsung T-150 OTA HD box. Since I currently only have one HD set-up this works fine.

I am now going to add a second HD set in the basement and will want to run the antenna feed to two places. What are my options?

I am assuming I could cut the current coax and run it through a splitter so that it goes to both locations correct?

My other question is, I have the Direct-TV running through a multi-switch that has an "antenna in" connection. Can I run the existing coax to the multi-switch antenna in and then use splitters (diplexers?) to break the signal out at each TV set? I am assuming I can do this but, want to make sure that splitting the signal back out does not cause any problems with the HD OTA signals.

Thanks for any help.

JT

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Use a splitter for OTA only lines. Use diplexers to separate Sat and OTA at the receiver end if you use the multiswitch to combine OTA and Sat. Most people have no problem with diplexing though there is a small amount of loss with that process. It's a rare situation where diplexing doesn't work and direct connection does. Usually both work or neither work.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pat -

Thanks for the information. I am going to run every thing through the multi-switch for future HD expansion. I appreciate the quick response since I need to get all this done before they begin working on the basement next week.

JT

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
A split loses about 3.5 db per leg. In fact, splitters often have the drop printed on each output. Usually signals are strong enough to handle distribution. Sometimes a preamp or distribution amplifier is needed. Your multiswitch may even amplify its outgoing signals. Figure out the way you would prefer things to work, then check to see if that configuration does the trick. It's a waste of energy to plan for every contingency. There are so many variables that really the only way to tell if something will work is to try it. If you try something and it doesn't work, you can report the results here and we can suggest what to do next. Since you have an antenna input on your multiswitch, use it, pick up a diplexer and see how it works for you. If one output works, all the others will work as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.