AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and couldnt pull up too much info to really give me what I want so sorry if this is in some way a repeat post.

My question is this, I am just now getting into the HDTV field. I plan on getting the Accessdtv card in my htpc for displaying it on my projector. I live in a one story house surrounded by the woods. On titantv.com they recommend I use Model GS-2000 from winegard. I want tog et as many hdtv channels as possible (of course). I am located by Martin State Airport for those who may be familiar with the area in chase/bowleys quarters area.

If anyone could give me some suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Chris

·
Registered
599 Posts
I live in Columbia, MD and went through three different antenna designs before finding one that worked well. Apparently the ATSC digital wave form is not as simple to receive as advertised.

I'm using a highly directional UHF YAGI antenna http://www.channelmaster.com/pages/u1.htm

with great success. But as you can see there are other

designs -- dish shaped, flat with bow-ties, and some unconventional antennas as well.

If you do put something up, try to get a guarantee that you can return it for another model if the first one doesn't work. I didn't need a preamplified but the way the waveform bounces around my area posed a challenge.

Lore

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
It is really a trial and error process. I too live in Columbia and directional antennas did not work for me. My final solution was a Channel Master 3021 (Bow-Tie) on an 8 foot mast. I originally had this antenna on a 5 foot mast and it wasn't that good. I am in a fairly heavily wooded area. I get pretty much every local dtv channel with a DC-100 although I have sporadic success with WETA.

Dino

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was kind of worried because I was looking on one of the antenna sites and it should that the antenna had to be pointed in almost 180 degrees of different positions to receive all the channels. I was hoping that there was a good strong non-directional I could put up to solve my problem. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you can afford to waste 30 bucks in the event that it doesn't work out, you might want to try the RCA ANT4500 omnidirectional outdoor amplified antenna.

This is a low-profile antenna that is designed to be mounted to the side of a house or flat on a roof. It is has an amplifier with an AGC circuit to prevent overload and the amp can be band switched to optimize it for the signal range you are trying to get.

This is not a long-range antenna like a Yagi but it seems to solve some of the problems in the area caused by the fact that the towers are in opposite directions.

Oh, I meant to add that you can find these brand new on Ebay for about $29.00 pretty consistantly. List is about $150, so don't go looking for one at a full price vendor.

[This message has been edited by Mongo (edited 10-02-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.