AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just cancelled my cable subscription to save some $$. I'm hoping to put up an outdoor/attic antenna to feed to my 3 TVs. I was hoping to find something where I wouldn't have to move around rabbit ears for each TV but I have learned that there is a WHOLE WORLD of antenna-ism out there!!! I've been all through this site (and many others) and have read about latitude, longitude, gain, db, VHF &UHF, looked at weird graphs and I am SOOO CONFUSED!! To top it off, I am in Canada so I cannot use antennaweb to help me.

Does anyone know how I can figure out what is the best kind of antenna to use if I cannot use antennaweb? *I am about 15 miles from the city (I don't know how to find out where the towers are located though) and I am higher than the city but there are a few rolling hills in between there and here. It would need to be one that a novice could install. We get some wicked winds storms here (we're in tornado alley-on the Canadian side) and I have neighbours so I don't want something HUGE. I have a digital cable box (tuner?) but NOT an HDTV tuner. Does this matter? What about my other TVs that are not hooked up to the digital box. Will they get reception?

Also, using rabbit ears, I could get 3 channels. If I use an outdoor antenna, will I get reception on all or most channels? Is it like cable?

I know there are a lot of questions and mostly simple ones, so thank you in advance for taking the time to answer them.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
And use normal type instead of boldface?

Since you can't use Antennaweb, can you at least tell us which city you're located near?

Are you looking to receive HDTV? (this is an HDTV forum, after all.) My understanding (from the other side of the border) is that the only HDTV OTA stations in Canada are in Toronto and Vancouver, maybe Montreal? I assume these are also the only digital OTA stations also. Or are you close enough to a US city to receive its digital/HD stations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison_ivy_red /forum/post/0

If I use an outdoor antenna, will I get reception on all or most channels? Is it like cable?

You will get only the local broadcast stations, presumably CBC plus whatever other local broadcast stations there are. I'm not familiar with the Canadian scene, but in the USA this means NBC, CBS, ABC, CW, MyNetworkTV, PBS, and some independent stations (depending on location). You will not get HBO, Showtime, CNN, Fox News, Food Channel, Animal Planet, and other cable-only channels.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.