AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure this out, I was in the store the otehr day, they had an HDTV antenna with 50DB gain and built in amplifier, then a 10DB antenna not amplified but big as hell, the amplified one was $30, the 10DB one was $50, what is the difference? I could search for hours through the forums.

·
Registered
947 Posts
the simple explaination...

the 50 db figure is amplified gain including the "power" of the built in amplifier.

the 10 db unamplified gain figure is the measured gain of the receiving antenna measured in dbd or dbi. (dbi=dbd+2.14)

post your antennaweb results and we can offer more assistance in your antenna selection.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
* yellow - uhf KFTH-DT 67.1 TFA ALVIN TX 179° 35.0 36

* yellow - uhf KETH-DT 24.1 TBN HOUSTON TX 179° 35.7 24

* yellow - uhf KHOU-DT 11.1 CBS HOUSTON TX 178° 35.7 31

* yellow - uhf KHCW-DT 39.1 CW HOUSTON TX 178° 35.2 38

* yellow - uhf KTMD-DT 47.1 TEL GALVESTON TX 179° 35.0 47

* yellow - uhf KRIV-DT 26.1 FOX HOUSTON TX 177° 34.8 27

* yellow - uhf KTRK-DT 13.1 ABC HOUSTON TX 177° 34.8 32

* yellow - uhf KAZH-DT 57.1 AZA BAYTOWN TX 179° 35.0 41

* yellow - uhf KXLN-DT 45.1 UNI ROSENBERG TX 179° 35.7 46

* yellow - uhf KZJL-DT 44 SAH HOUSTON TX TBD 178° 36.0 44

* yellow - uhf KTXH-DT 20.1 MNT HOUSTON TX 179° 35.7 19

* yellow - uhf KTBU-DT 55.1 IND CONROE TX 179° 35.6 42

* yellow - uhf KPRC-DT 2.1 NBC HOUSTON TX 178° 35.2 35

* green - vhf KPXB-DT 49.1 i CONROE TX 179° 35.0 5

* green - vhf KUHT-DT 8.1 PBS HOUSTON TX 177° 34.8 9

* red - uhf KLTJ-DT 22.1 DAY GALVESTON TX 161° 55.7 23

* blue - uhf KNWS-DT 51.1 IND KATY TX 178° 35.7 52

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
IMHO, consistent reception at 35miles will not be achievable with an indoor antenna. An outdoor antenna will likely be required. You may be able to get away with mounting it in an attic if the building materials are non-metallic. Even then, reception will be impacted by trees, structures and terrain.

·
Registered
80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii /forum/post/0

IMHO, consistent reception at 35miles will not be achievable with an indoor antenna. An outdoor antenna will likely be required. You may be able to get away with mounting it in an attic if the building materials are non-metallic. Even then, reception will be impacted by trees, structures and terrain.

I think that is complete rubbish. I've used a Silver Sensor Antenna before and I've gotten channels 90+ miles away, and I live in a two story building. I only stopped using the Silver Sensor because I got the CM4221, which even though is stated to only get stations up to 50 miles away, gets stations that are 90+ miles away too.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcrow21 /forum/post/0

I think that is complete rubbish. I've used a Silver Sensor Antenna before and I've gotten channels 90+ miles away, and I live in a two story building. I only stopped using the Silver Sensor because I got the CM4221, which even though is stated to only get stations up to 50 miles away, gets stations that are 90+ miles away too.

That is hardly rubbish. The nominal range of the Silver Sensor is maybe 15 to 20 miles. You must live at a higher elevation in an area where the broadcast towers are located on a mountain or high ridge and in an area where dense woods are not a concern. You can not apply your exceptional numbers to most places.

designedfor is around 35 miles from digital stations broadcasting on upper VHF and UHF with an i/Pax station at low VHF. All of the stations are in the same direction as well. Houston area is pretty flat country, so a medium range antenna should do the job. The CM 4221 4 Bay or the 4228 8 Bay would work for the UHF channels, maybe for the upper VHF 7 to 13, no way for the low VHF station. If the attic is big enough and does not have metal lining, a more conventional VHF/UHF would probably be the best way to go.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I'm using a philips 50DB Amplification MANT510 I bought at wally, it picks up NBC, FOX, CBS, CW, but not ABC or PBS, NBC and FOX don't break up very much if at all, CBS, breaks up occasionaly this is at full amplification I have the lights cranked all the way up, and this area is flat as can be, still would like a recommendation for a $50 antenna, that I can use indoors, I don't want to mess with running wires into the house or grounding stuff.

·
Registered
947 Posts
first try turning the gain all the way down or up a tadd with your current antenna. 50 db gain is a bit much. add a longer coax and hold the antenna outside . if the signal shoots up dramatically you may have issues indoors with home construction materials attenuating signal.

if not successful try this antenna from radio shack. the silver sensor at circuit city works good but will not receive ch 9 or ch5. I tried the terk hdtva at home but the rabbit ears are a pain in the ass. most folks do not like the exercise...getting up to adjust every time you change the channel or when someone walks into the room.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

if the radio shack above does not work with your antennaweb profile then the choices are

-cm4228 uhf - ch 9 but no ch 5

-winegard hd 7080p (minimum) or hd7082p (best) for everything.

you can go the radio shack or lowe's route, but the winegard hd series of antennas allows you to have better performance from a shorter antenna in comparison.

you can try others but the above are proven performers. if an indoor antenna does not perform, it is usually a hint that others will be troublesome also indoors.

if your home is constructed with stucco, alum. siding, foil back insulation you may have reception issues inside with most antennas.

btw...the antenna you selected is a real "beauty".

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
No small antenna can have the "directivity"-type of gain of a real antenna.

Gain, in an antenna, is a measure of it's directivity....how narrow of an angle it "sees" and how much it "ignores". It needs to see a very small angle, and ignore all the interference, multipath, and natural noise from other directions.

An amplifier can have "gain", but that is a measure of it's output (together with noise and distortions) versus it's input.

Amplified antennas are marketed in a way that just confuses the two.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I reside near IAH at 30 miles from the Houston Towers. Currently using UHF Antennas Direct DB2 in attic of a second story. My Sharp HD TV reads from 70-95 on signal strength with 65 recommended to see HD (great picture). I get all HD signals except VHF PBS. I do have a Leviton amplified 8-way splitter for the house distribution. I just ordered an upgrade and will see how it works.

You can get specifications at the web sites but this combination should fit nicely in my attic.

Ordered: UHF Antennas direct DB4, Channels 14-69, From SolidSignal.

Ordered: VHF Winegard YA-6713, Channels 7-13, From SummitSource.

Ordered: Winegard Coupler CC7870, 75ohm combines two antennas

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went with the ratshack antenna, managed to pick up the abc channel, still can't get PBS for some reason, and receive less breakup with it, looks like the philips is going back, I have no way of telling the signal strength, my olevia 237v has no feature i know of for this.

·
Registered
947 Posts
pbs is ch 9 vhf. that is the variable. the rest are uhf. unfortunately rabit ears on that antenna for vhf.

* green - vhf KUHT-DT 8.1 PBS HOUSTON TX 177° 34.8 9

For VHF TV Channels 2-6 and FM radio:

Fully extend the telescopic antenna.

For VHF TV Channels 7-13:

Experiment retracting the antenna at different lengths, shaped as a V

and move the antenna to an angle/direction that produces the best

reception.

experiment with gain ...up/ down, distance off floor, get the antenna away from the electronics if you can. aim the rabbit ears in a shape of a V in the direction of the towers (177 degrees).

sometimes a few beers helps solve your reception problems.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hey, RaiderRed, would you post back here on how the upgrade goes? I'm in the same geographical region at about 35 miles from the towers, and I'm also using a DB2. I'm curious to find out how much your UFH reception improves with the DB4 compared to your DB2.

·
Registered
947 Posts
if you are thinking of upgrading antennas from a db-2, would not suggest the db4 but the 43xg (if your antenna web profile at antenna web is similar as the other user above) and have multipath concerns or the cm4221 4 bay if not.

the db 4 has a big dip in gain on the lower uhf channels and the cm 4221 would perform better at less cost.

db2 6-10 dbd gain

db4 5-11

if you have issues of the multipath variety with a smaller bow tie, a bigger bow tie may not tame the multipath either and would be a poor choice. the yagi would tame mutipath much better in comparison.

therefore suggest the 43xg. I would not be concerned with overdirectivity at 35 miles with the 43 xg...20 -25 miles would be a different story though.

if the antenna web results are more in the red blue violet range, the 91xg would be the choice. you can purchase the 91xg (for the other users out there) and remove the front section and it becomes the 43 xg with a little less gain.

the 43xg works great in attics by the way...much better than a bowtie.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.