AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help getting OTA Digital signals in Phoenix. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Here is my situation:

1. I leave at 16th St. and Beardsley (now the 101 Freeway) this is North of Union Hills and Bell.

2. I just bought a Amplified Multidirectional TV Antenna from Radio Shack. It looks like a flying saucer with wings. I’d say it is about 3-4 ft. wide. I have it mounted on top of my house.

3. I have a Dish Network 6000 Receiver with the Off-Air Analog/Digital Cartridge.

4. I have everything set up right now and I get a good analog signal on channel 10 (Fox) and 12 (NBC). I get a picture with ghost on 8 (PBS) and 5 (CBS), and my channel 15 (ABC) signal is very bad. However, I get no signal on any of the digital channels. If I watch the signal strength meter they all show nothing except channel 17 and 31 have an occasional blip of about a 50% signal strength, but I can’t get the 6000 to add these channels so I can’t see if I get an occasional picture.

If you need any more info from me to possibly help me out please let me know. Thanks in advance for any advise you have.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
598 Posts
I used the $19.95 Radio Shack Uhf only antenna on my roof and I get full strength on all channels.Take the other one back,I live in n Phx as well.The other is a waste of money.Gregg

------------------

Who are you going to believe,me or your lying eyes?

[This message has been edited by ransome (edited 10-02-2001).]

·
Registered
599 Posts
Take back the "multidirectional" antenna

Buy a "Directional" antenna

and a rotor.

And You will happy

------------------

Studio Broadcast Engineer

KET

·
Registered
7 Posts
Let me know how it turns out! I am curious to see what you can pickup that far North.

I just moved up to Anthem (5 miles north of Carefree highway and I-17) and contemplating what I am going to need to get OTA. When I was down on Pinnacle Peak and Scottsdale Rd, I used a Terk TV42 and was able to get all stations just fine. Don't think I am going to be that lucky this time around.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Forget the rotor, all the Phoenix analog and digital transmitters are at one place, 25 miles due south of you.

But you've got the Phoenix Mountains in the way!

Can you see the South Mountain tower lights from your roof? Tune in with a weak radio to the Phoenix FM stations like 94.5 or 98.7. Do you pick them up?

You may need a BIG antenna and pole. Look around the neighborhood and see if anyone else is doing this.

You MAY not be able to snag those Phoenix signals, though.

At my mom's house near 60th / Thomas, we get a better signal from Tucson 110 miles away than South Mountain.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I live at Carefree Highway and Central with a hill directly in the direction of South Mountain. I mounted a UHF antenna on a 6 foot pole in my yard and I get all Phoenix DTV stations well. I tried the cheapest Radio Shack UHF yagi with very good results. I eventually bought a Channel Master 3021? four bay bowtie antenna because it is more politically correct for my neighborhood. I have good reception on all digital stations.

I would think either antenna would work for John on Beardsley or Terry in Anthem.

Al Keown

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Al K. That's great news. Glad to hear someone that far north is picking up signals (there's still hope).

I was thinking of doing an attic mount with a ChannelMaster 4248. The roof is just wood and tile so it shouldn't cause a big problem. I can't mount it on my roof, but I'm thinking that the added elevation of the terrain (as you head north on I-17) should help get a good signal from South Mountain (fingers crossed).

Suggestions anyone?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help. It sounds like I need to try another antenna. One thing is still puzzling me. If all of the signals are coming from South Mountain, then why do I currently get the analog signals but no digital. It seems like if I could get one I should be able to get the other, unless the broadcasting strengths are different for the analog verses the digital channels. Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure if this is totally correct, but it sounds like your antenna is better at picking up VHF than UHF. I believe all the digital signals here are UHF.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just wanted to update everyone who helped me out. I got a UHF Directional Antenna at Radio Shack for $20. I swaped it out with the other one and instantly got all of the digital channels is Phoenix.

Thanks for all of the help.

John

·
Registered
82 Posts
go to ultimate electronics and buy a TERK TV40 its a cheap table top antenna its basically two squares and its powered i get ALL of the DTV stations with it ontop of my tv and im on 69th ave and t bird..

oops i just read your above post oh well http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif thats another idea for any other HDTV people in phx

[This message has been edited by LOUDSYSTEM (edited 10-06-2001).]

·
Registered
507 Posts
Phoenix folks,

My dad is getting a 55" Misubishi delivered today along with the Mitsubishi STB. He lives in Sun City. He is reluctant to put up an outdoor antenna because, apparently, birds park there in great numbers and mess up his roof. I never would have thought that birds would be an obstacle to HDTV...

Anyway, is that Terk set-top antenna likely to work from his location? I couldn't find a "TV40" on the web.

If not, I was going to suggest one of the "multi-bow" UHF antennas for outdoors since they appear to be less "bird friendly."

Also, is the CBS station down there still standard def only? I haven't seen any updates lately. I assume Phoenix ABC and PBS are showing their HDTV offerings--true?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
82 Posts
yes cbs still sucks a phat **** they piss me off.. everyone else is HD accept them..

sun city is a few miles from here so he shouldnt have a problem.. sometimes you need to turn it a few inches but like thats real hard http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
581 Posts
I live in Gilbert and just hooked up a cheap rabbit ear and I get them all. about 80 signal.

Went to best buy and bought a RCA digital antenna and most it got was 70. so back I went.

I guess every antenna has different characteristic so you'll have to try them out.

But an indoor antenna did work for me.

Hugo

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just wanted to give an update on my attempt to get OTA from up in Anthem(New River), Arizona.

I installed a ChannelMaster 4248 in my attic last night, pointed it south, set the DTC100 to Antenna A, entered 29-2 and BAM!, OTA signal strength around 85. I checked all the other stations and they all came in around 75-85. YeeHaw! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

This was changing out the RG6 to the TV with the satellite run, so I figured I would push my luck and just TRY using diplexors to save me some work running a second line. Hooked up the diplexor on top, then one at the DTC100, turned it all back on and crossed by fingers. Then, to my delight, everything worked great! All the DirectTV and OTA stations came in just as before(That saved a good hour or so of rolling around the attic).

You gotta love it when a plan actually comes together!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.