AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to Antenna Web i am located about 25 miles or so away from my local antenna.

I have one of these

RCA ANT3036X (sorry i cant post links yet)

installed in my attic. In order for me to turn it to point towards the broadcast i think i need to cut/fold up the longer rods on the back of this antenna. (sorry i don't know the proper names.)

Is there a problem with this? can you guys suggest anything?

Thanks

Ryan

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
The lengths of the elements are tuned to receive specific frequencies. If you cut them, they won't work as designed. Do you need to receive any channels in the VHF range? High VHF only? Low VHF as well?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I would personally replace the RCA antenna with a compact channel 7-69 antenna. There are no channels below 7 in your area, so a wide, full band antenna is not needed. The performance of the Winegard HD 7694P should equal or surpass the RCA you are using now for about the same price.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
The Winegard that Digital Rules suggested is an excellent antenna and doesn't have those extremely long elements that you don't even need for the channels in your area.

You may be able to use an even smaller antenna. Posting a link to your TVFool results would help determine this. If the full link won't post, due to being a new member, post 3 "test" posts, to get your post count up to 5.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok,

An update.

I was able to spin the antenna in the attic to point directly south east. 135 degrees.

That brought stations 2, 24, 54, 67 to a 90% signal

however 11, and 13. are still at 45 or so percent and 11 works ok but 13 still cuts out with audio and video.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I agree with Arxaws recommendation of the 7695, especially with an attic mounted antenna. (Outside would be better, but not sure if it's an option) I assume you aren't using any amplification at this time?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i would like to keep it in the attic if at all possible.

you are right with the no amplification. however that was my next questions.

Right now from my antenna i have a 60 foot run to a splitter (2way) then to a 4 way splitter. all going to tvs. is there a good 5 way splitter out there? maybe with a built in amplifier?

also after writing that i realized its not grounded either. should that be done?

thanks for your help guys

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
With that much cable and all those splitters, you would be a good candidate for a Channel Master CM7777. You could also give the CM3018 a try.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
+1 on the 7777 or 3418. Do you have a 110v electrical outlet in the attic?

Attic antennas do not require grounding.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes i have an outlet in the attic.

should the channel master go right after the antenna before the 60 foot run?

also should i try that first before buying a new antenna?

thanks

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Yes, definitely try adding amp before changing out the antenna, because with all the splits in your coax (you finally mentioned) can have a huge impact on signal strength. And you'll need it anyway.

The amp should be installed as close to the antenna as possible. If you buy the distribution amp, remove all your other splitters and use the ones in the distro amp. If you buy the 7777 preamp instead of the distro amp, you can leave the existing splitters where they are, as long as they are downstream from the preamp power supply.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry about not telling the details with the splitters.

what amp do you suggest out of the two.

·
Banned
1,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabdab /forum/post/18296673

Sorry about not telling the details with the splitters.

what amp do you suggest out of the two.

I would not consider the 7777. It has too much gain. My choice would be the Winegard AP 8700.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
It depends upon your location and how much more cable you have beyond the 60'. I have a CM3020 mounted on a tower 55' AGL and use a Channel Master pre-amp and a CM3014 to attain stations (WUTB) down to -22.7dB NM (2Edge). I also have a few stations in the 50dB NM range. I'm about 70 miles from the Altoona, Baltimore, D.C., and Harrisburg DMA's.

I started with the pre-amp, then the CM3014. I also have 2-way splitters at each of my television locations.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
I use a CM7777, the coax is split to 5 stations and I have stations ranging from 69dB to 5dB NM, with no overload problems.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I think Tower Guy is referring to overloading the "input", not the output of the pre-amp. (correct me if I am wrong) I would think that the attic would attenuate the signal enough to eliminate any overload concerns.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts