AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I'm not (YET) and HD viewer, I notice good antenna discussions here. Hope no one minds me posting this non-HD question here.

I live in Cupertino, CA (SF South Bay Area) - Specifically:

Lat: 37 19 35 N Lon: 122 2 59 W

I've got Directv and am trying to kill off my basic cable connection by putting in an indoor antenna. Since I live in an apartment, I can't put one on the roof. I've put a Channel Master Stealthtenna 3010 on a bucket pole inside and raised it as high as I can towards the ceiling. I did not purchase the amplifier (3038) for the 3010 yet.

Some of the local channels I'm looking for come in with some snow but others are pretty good. I'd like to improve the quality as much as I can before I pull the plug on AT&T for good.

My questions:

1. Did I purchase an adequate antenna for my location relative to the transmitters on Sutro tower?

2. Would the amplifier decrease the snow or just introduce more noise?

Any other comments/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks /Tim

------------------

/T

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Tom,

Check out this thread for other comments about the stealth. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/014783.html

The Amp is almost a have-to-have item, the stealth had a -gain without the amp. Are you testing on VHF, UHF channels HD or not HD?

HD (digital) channels will come is better than UHF stuff, or at least they do in my experience.

The Stealth might be good enough, you might need to try moving it around. The other thing is make sure you aim the antenna in the correct direction. The thread mentioned above will give our experience with "correct" aiming and what we found works.

When you get a HDTV decoder there should be a signal strength meter built in (if you get the right receiver!) That will help you with the aiming.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Tim,

Know exactly what you're dealing with. I'm down the street in Sunnyvale, and am working on finalizing my HD antenna setup so I can kill my cable as well.

I found that I definitely needed an amplifier with the Stealthtenna 3010 to get any reasonable amount of signal on multiple channels.

I first tried the 3038 amp that mounts inside the stealth (grabbed one at Frys), and it helped a great deal. I then swapped in a Titan 7777 this last weekend.

The reception wasn't so much better as different. Some channels came in much better, while others seemed to fade out. At various times I nearly had all of the channels from SF and SJ, but I'm not quite there at the moment.

Unfortuantely, I'm stuck mounting my antenna in my attic (really isn't a safe place to put it on my roof), which introduces some strange interference into the reception. I'm probably going to break down and try a second antenna this weekend, with both run into a combiner and then into the Titan 7777 before going to a Spaun 5x8 multiswitch for distribution to the rest of the house.

Be sure that you're using RG6 between your antenna and receiver, and reference the map from AntennaWeb to figure out exactly where to point. Following the info in the post referenced by JeffD, you should be able to orient it to pickup both the SJ and SF towers, especially if can freely rotate it.

DB.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

>Are you testing on VHF, UHF channels HD or not HD?

I'm using it only on VHF and UHF currently. I really only care about 2, 4, 7, 9 and 44. Nice to have KTEH (10?) too I guess.

>Titan 7777

Is there a qualitative difference between the 7777 and the 3038? I think I'll pop over to Fry's and get the 3038 today to see what it does. Not too expensive anyway.

>RG6

I just picked up some 75ohm stuff off the peg board at Fry's. I'll look closer at cable when I'm at Fry's today. Any hints/guidance?

Thanks again! /Tim

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've been told that the Titan 7777 does more to help resolve multipath, but haven't been able to verify this myself. It is much beefier, and runs $20 more than the 3038. I'd definitely start off with the 3038, and if it doesn't do it for you, just return it and order a 7777 instead.

When you're looking for cable, look for stuff labeled as RG6, or as being for satellite installations. Fry's has a 25 foot length of the RG6 for around $12 if I remember correctly.

DB.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went to Fry's and got the 3038 today. Installed it and DO see a good improvement. Some channels as good or better than analog cable; others still a bit of noise but I can live with it to shoot AT&T at $156/Yr. <G>

I MIGHT change out to the Titan 7777, but might just move the antenna closer to the outside wall closer to the tower and see what THAT does. With the passive I tried moving the antenna to the other room and it looked LOTS better.

Thanks for all the advice guys!!

Best /T

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.