AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checked antennaweb and 2 of my local stations said i needed a medium directional antenna and another one said medium directional with pre amp.

Any suggestions for an antenna. Its been a while since i lived in the 1970's so i have no idea what kind of antennas to look for.

I dont want to have to put a radio tower on my roof so please tell me this is a small unobtrusive antenna.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cycy2
Just checked antennaweb and 2 of my local stations said i needed a medium directional antenna and another one said medium directional with pre amp.
Things to include in posts such as yours:

1) Channel numbers. We need to know if you're hoping to receive VHF (2-13) or UHF (14+) or both.

2) Distance to stations. Antennaweb can be overly optimistic, or they can be spot on. I have a long list of stations I'm supposed to be able to get with a "medium directional w/ preamp" that have never shown more than a blip on my receiver.

3) General terrain between you and the stations. Are things hilly? Lots of tall buildings or trees nearby? These all impact reception as well.

If you're looking for good UHF reception, a great choice is the Channel Master 4228 w/ a 777x preamplifier. This combo seems ideal for most people in the 40+ mile range from stations. It is highly directional and has a boatload of gain. It is also relatively small (4' x 4') compared to a VHF/UHF combo.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.