AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a little confused about antenna selection to receive OTA HD (I have a Hughes HTL-HD). I checked antennaweb.org but still am not sure what Im looking at.

I live in the 10605 Zip Code. I have an old, large antenna on the roof- I think it might be what people call a "spider" antenna - one of those old antennas people used 20-30 years ago when they didnt have cable - stands straight up near the chimney with metal prongs branching out horizontally.

Will that get me the OTA channels in my area?

Help. thanks!

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
That old antenna sounds like a VHF antenna, you most likely need a newer UHF antenna for digital TV stations. You can mount one on the existing mast. You might want to replace the downlead cable if its 20-30 years old.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
I would start by replacing the existing downlead with new RG6 coax and a new balun transformer, like this one:
http://us1.webpublications.com.au/st...03701524tb.jpg

That might be all you need to do. If you need a different antenna and if antennaweb.org is correct for your ZIP Code, it looks like you'll need a good VHF/UHF outdoor antenna, and possibly a good preamp, to get all your digital OTA stations.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.