AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Too many choices. Only want to buy 1 one time.

You guys were great on the plasma help. (Pio 5070)

Cincinnati Ohio Zip 45244
Antenna web info

yellow - uhf WCVN-DT 54.1 PBS COVINGTON KY 252° 10.9

yellow - uhf WLWT-DT 5.1 NBC CINCINNATI OH 287° 11.2

yellow - uhf WKRC-DT 12.1 CBS CINCINNATI OH 285° 10.0

yellow - vhf WCPO-DT 9.1 ABC CINCINNATI OH 288° 10.0

yellow - uhf WCET-DT 48.1 PBS CINCINNATI OH 287° 11.2

yellow - uhf WXIX-DT 19.1 FOX NEWPORT KY 285° 12.5

Steet level info

2 story with close trees. Up on hill almost to the top. Same elevation as towers.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
the good news is all of your stations are in the same direction and no rotor is required. The somewhat bad news is WCPO is broadcasting in VHF (digital channel 10), the remainder are UHF.

With the relatively short distance to the towers, you could try a simple Radio Shack U-75R UHF yagi antenna (15-2160 - $25) and a matching transformer (15-1140) and enough RG6 coax to get from the antenna to the TV. You may even get away with an attic install, although mounted low on the roof with a simple roof top tripod mount would be much better.

The U-75R is UHF but in a strong signal area will probably do OK on the high VHF channel 10. If it doesn't work, take it back and get a VU-75XR combination UHF/VHF rig (or just start out with that, but this would definately work better mounted outside).

·
Registered
311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsreich /forum/post/0

Too many choices. Only want to buy 1 one time.

You guys were great on the plasma help. (Pio 5070)

Cincinnati Ohio Zip 45244
Antenna web info

yellow - uhf WCVN-DT 54.1 PBS COVINGTON KY 252° 10.9

yellow - uhf WLWT-DT 5.1 NBC CINCINNATI OH 287° 11.2

yellow - uhf WKRC-DT 12.1 CBS CINCINNATI OH 285° 10.0

yellow - vhf WCPO-DT 9.1 ABC CINCINNATI OH 288° 10.0

yellow - uhf WCET-DT 48.1 PBS CINCINNATI OH 287° 11.2

yellow - uhf WXIX-DT 19.1 FOX NEWPORT KY 285° 12.5

Steet level info

2 story with close trees. Up on hill almost to the top. Same elevation as towers.

I think with you being up on a hill and less than 15 miles, a simple set top unit would work fine as long as it has an adjustable gain amplifier and rotatible uhf section.. I'm 37 miles from our antenna and I get all them fine with a Home Depot RCA TV24727 which is UHF/VHF sitting on the floor behind my equipment. I had to turn the gain all the way down for best signal strength.

I know you said you only want to buy once but how much trouble is it to put it back in the box and take back. IMO, it sure is better than the hassle of mounting one on the roof if you don't need to. Start with the simplest option and work your way up if needed. I doubt you will need to. Overkill is not good in digital reception because it will overdrive the receiver and not tune in the channel.

The Antenna Web listed that I would only get 1 station with a short range setup like this and I get more than they say I could get with a long range (10ft roof mount) antenna.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
At that distance and in your situation, I'd say that you don't need any amplified or expensive equipment. The $21 RadioShack 15-1868 unamplified antenna should work great. I suggest an attic placement with an RG-6 run to the TV, but you might be able to get away with a lower placement of the antenna. Regardless of the location, be sure to place the antenna by a window facing north, if you can. Also, be sure to use the knob on the bottom to tune the antenna so that a proper lock on all channels can occur.

Also, on a sidenote that some missed: WKRC-DT will go to VHF channel 12 in 2009.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtexan /forum/post/0

I think with you being up on a hill and less than 15 miles, a simple set top unit would work fine as long as it has an adjustable gain amplifier and rotatible uhf section.. I'm 37 miles from our antenna and I get all them fine with a Home Depot RCA TV24727 which is UHF/VHF sitting on the floor behind my equipment. I had to turn the gain all the way down for best signal strength.

I know you said you only want to buy once but how much trouble is it to put it back in the box and take back. IMO, it sure is better than the hassle of mounting one on the roof if you don't need to. Start with the simplest option and work your way up if needed. I doubt you will need to. Overkill is not good in digital reception because it will overdrive the receiver and not tune in the channel.

The Antenna Web listed that I would only get 1 station with a short range setup like this and I get more than they say I could get with a long range (10ft roof mount) antenna.

Have a Terk TV5 amplified inside unit now. My CBS is marginal and NBC and FOX are weak. Gain has to be all the way up or I get nothing.

Climbing and mounting on roof no problem.

So BIGGER is not always Better?

I almost bought this today at Radio Shack.

80" Boom Length, 32-Element Antenna

Model: VU-90 XR

$59.99

ALL locations are out of the next size down with the 50" boom.

Any further thoughts???

Thanks

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Eh, Terk's a rather cruddy antenna manufacturer. You could do a lot better than them.

From your distance, you don't need an amplified antenna of any kind. My unamplified 15-1868 does better at picking up a weak signal in my area than an amplified RS 15-1838, even with its gain turned up all the way.

That said, if you want to possibly assure Cincinnati AND Dayton stations, the RS VU-75 XR might do, although you run the risk of overloading the tuner for Cincinnati channels. If "mounted" by an attic window facing north, the 15-1868 should be fine with local digitals. Just give yourself some time to work with the knob on the bottom right of the antenna, in addition to the dipoles' length and positions.

By the way, a little tip: When extending the dipoles, always extend their thicker units before the thinner ones. In fact, for channels 10 and 12, you probably won't need to extend any of the two or three thinnest ones at all. You'll reduce the risk of multipath-related breakups that way...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.