AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems as though the trees (spring) have degraded my hd signal which wasn't a problem in the fall. I could move the antenna to the middle of the roof from the chimmney and be fine but hate the idea of penetrating the roof and taking a chance of causing leaks. Anybody have and solve this dilema? Thanks for any info.

Kenneth

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
There are eave mounts and wall mounts. Don't know if either will work for you. But IMHO you have little to worry about with a roof mount. As long as the screws/bolts are properly sealed when installed, you should be fine indefinitely. There are a lot of more likely sources of water infiltration on your roof right now. I have lived in houses with antennas on the roof for 50 years. I have never exprienced a leak because of one. Nor do I know anyone who has had such a leak.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
There are also non-penetrating roof mounts that consist of a tray or trays that are filled with cement blocks. Ones for use on a peaked roof are more expensive and harder to find than ones for flat roofs.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Well, this is obviously a peaked roof if moving the antenna is going to help gain height.

If you do use a penetrating mount, you can seal the holes fairly easily. A competent installer would do this but you can also do it yourself by getting the right type of silicone for your roof materials.

You could also go with the eave mount and work from near the peak on up. Or you could increase the length of the past on your chimney mount. Perhaps 10 feet instead of 5.

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.