AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to install my OTA antenna for local digital reception. I just wanted to make sure from those in the "know" that I can run the antenna preamp power back through a couple of diplexers to the antenna without problems. Here's what the environment would look like:

From the antenna, a single line down to a diplexer that will combine my two satellite dishes into a single line for entry into the house.

Inside the house, a diplexer splits the lines back into two separate lines.

The Pre-amp power supply will then be connected to the ant lead before it goes into the 8VSB module on my Dish 6000 receiver.

Will the dc current be correctly routed through the diplexers back to the antennna? I don't want to blow up the LNB's on my dishes!

·
Registered
801 Posts
No, it won't. The diplexer routes low frequencies and DC as well as 950 to 1450 MHz between the satellite receiver and LNB, while signals between about 1MHz and 700 MHz will be routed between the receiver and terrestrial antenna.

This means the DC power will not pass between the power suopply and the antenna amplifier.

Bob Smith

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sucks. Is there anyway to run just one wire into the house from the satellites and the OTA antenna with a pre-amp without drilling another hole in the wall?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Randy,

Check out the Channel Master line of diplexers and preamps ... they specifically build versions of their diplexers that route the DC voltage from the LNB to the antenna preamp

... and likewise they build optimized preamps for working with DC from satellites.

Check out the CM 4012IFD diplexer and the 0065DSB preamp. That is EXACTLY what I am using (along with a 4001IFD inside the house) to combine my sat with my OTA antenna.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already have a CM7775 pre-amp. I also just looked at the Aspen diplexers and they specifically state "power pass" through the SAT line. At this point, I'd rather just drill another hole in the wall for the antenna lead than return and buy new and more expensive equipment. While I'm not keen on drilling holes in the wall to the outside, it certainly simplifies setup. (now I don't have to worry about where to mount the diplexer and grounding block on the outside of the house, which would require multiple cuts and short leads in-line)

Oh well. Anyone want to buy a couple of brand new diplexers? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I would second the motion of running another cable. I had the same problems you are having and found it ultimately much cheaper and a more solid solution to add the cable. In fairness though you have to understand that my house is starting to look more like a tv station than a residence.. 1 round dtv dish, 1 oval dtv dish, dtv terk tv-55 mounted 10 feet above the roof, an omnidirectional antenna and finally my microwave square dish for internet access. Not too pretty but lots of fun to setup. I of course did several of these while my wife was out of town.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kraigk:
... 1 round dtv dish, 1 oval dtv dish, dtv terk tv-55 mounted 10 feet above the roof, an omnidirectional antenna and finally my microwave square dish for internet access. Not too pretty but lots of fun to setup. I of course did several of these while my wife was out of town.
Uh huh ... consulting a hot-shot NY divorce lawyer no doubt.

My lovely wife (daughter of an RF engineer) thinks any device that faciliates wireless reception, no matter how small, destroys the appearance and value of our 3800 sq. ft, colonial. My oval DTV dish almost caused bloodshed, and the Silver Sensor I just stuck on top of one of my speakers elicited various sarcastic remarks and complaints.

Exagerating a tiny bit, but wives and antennae don't seem to be a good combo. Maybe that's why Uncle Martin never got married...

------------------

R. Aster, scanning the forums

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Boecker:
At this point, I'd rather just drill another hole in the wall for the antenna lead than return and buy new and more expensive equipment. While I'm not keen on drilling holes in the wall to the outside, it certainly simplifies setup.
If you are drilling to run another wire, then be sure to follow my rule on wire-pulling . . . if you are pulling one wire, then pull two. You never know when that second wire will come in handy. Perhaps you'll add a second receiver someday.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Randy,

I exactly had the same problems you are encountering. I understand how hard it is to run extra coax cables in the walls specially if you have to many studs to encounter.

Here's what I did I replaced the current multi 4X4 switch that came with the 18x24 dish with a Nas-sms rp-20 5/4 multiswitch. This combines your satellite feeds with a seperate uhf input, 5 inputs to 4 outs. Then use diplexers to seperate signals to the sat boxes. Make sure to install the power supply at the uhf in of the multiswitch. This is one of the best ways to do if you only have one coax going to the hd box. The cost of the multiswith is only $69.00.

Visit this website it will show you the diagram. http://www.geocities.com/dbs_tech/dishes/dsa8900e.htm

This multiswitch can work indor or outdoor installations.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
136 Posts
Make sure to install the Titan 7775 power supply coax out to the IN of the UHF/VHF Nas SMS - RP20 5/4 MULTISWITCH.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
I just wanted to double check this about the Aspen mulitswitch before I fry something....

It is ok to connect a boosted UHF line to the UHF input of the Aspen/Eagle 5x4 multiswitch?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the suggestions. Buying yet another switch is more of a hassle, IMHO, for what I need. There's already one line running through the wall for the sat feed. It's just as easy at this point to drill another hole right next to that one, probably already between the studs (I'll check before I drill!) and fish the line to the outside. Since it's RG6 and pretty stiff, getting it through the wall without any additional major fishing tools shouldn't be a problem. The only thing I can't find now are the type of grommits I want to use. The only ones I can find at Home Depot are the rubber grommits that go between sheet metal. I need the ones like the guy used to install my sat line: plastic, with a kind of mushroom cap on one end, and then a longer narrower sleeve that actually goes into the hole in the wall. I don't know if you'd technically call it a grommit, but it needs to be specifically for holes through studs, walls, etc. Any suggestions on where to find such a beast? Was I just looking in the wrong place at HD?

Good luck to the rest of you with the multiswitches. As for me, I'm just taking the easy way out. I have no plans, now or in the future, to run any more cables into my house. If I should add another dish for, say, internet or something, I can just use an external switch.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Jeff,

Yes it is ok. Call Aspen directly and they will tell you to install it on the uhf multiswitch in. Or if you look at the owners manual of the multiswitch it tells you to install any

inline ant power supply before the uhf in of the multiswitch.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
887 Posts
Randy,

You can find those "grommets" at Radio Shack.

I just finished up an install this morning using the special CM preamp and diplexer set-up to inject pre-amp'd OTA into a Dish 500 system. It works great. Saved running OTA coax thru attic and down walls,etc.

Expense-wise,I think both pieces were around $75 including shipping.I used the RCA diplexers at the receiver end that were already hooked up and they seem to work fine also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.