Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I moved my rack to make some space for my antenna; hoping that having it closer to the wall/window would help. Alas, not the case.

Some background: I live in Arlington, VA, about 3 miles from most of the transmitters in NW Washington. It's a 1st floor apartment with no balcony, but several windows. However, none of them fact due north (the LOS to the transmitter). I have two antennas feeding a DTC100; a channel master 4 bay bow-tie, and a Radio Shack double bow-tie. The CM is on the base of an old halogen lamp (perfect fit), so I can move it. Mounting the antenna externally is not an option.

With the CM in one position, I get Baltimore ABC and CBS at about 70 signal strength, fairly stable; but no others. If I rotate it a bit, I can get fox at about 30 and DC CBS at about 50. With the Radio Shack antenna, I can get NBC and WETA (PBS); but here's the kicker:

Moving the leads just a little bit on the antenna change the signal strengths from 70 down to 40. And WETA (which is in a completely different direction from where the antenna is pointed right now) comes in at 75 to 80, but then dips down to 30, comes back up to 80, dips down and so on . . .

I'm about at my wits end. There was talk in another thread about the signal being too strong from some stations and that I need to attenuate it. There is also talk that I'm using the wrong transformer on the antennas and I'm getting an impedance mismatch.

I've tried everything; but the only thing that works is me standing next to the antenna, which is not an option.

please help. Thanks,

Anthony

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.