AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read anything on the forum that I could find about antennas, but I still have a question...

I live in the metro area of Portland, Oregon (Beaverton). I am about three miles from the hill on which all of the HDTV UHF stations have placed their antennas. From the CEA antenna map web page, it would seem that there are two towers (and it seems so in practice).

I initially tried the Radio Shack indoor "disc" antenna, and like others on this board that have tried, it seemed to do nothing.

I bought the smallest (directional, arrow shaped) UHF-only antenna that Radio Shack sells (their site seems down right now, so I can't post the part number). With it, I can pull in one set of antennas (VHF/UHF channels 6/40, 8/46, and 10/27) with a signal level of nearly 100 (though 10 is lower). However, the stations at the other location (4/? and 49/48) have levels around forty. I have tried repointing the antenna, and I can make the others come in better, at the expense of the first three.

Note that the antenna is pointing mostly horizontally, and there is a stand of trees about 150 yards away.

So, my question is, what would be the best way to solve this?

1. Keep trying to point the antenna that I have.

[*} Reposition the antenna such that it angles upward.
  2. Try the next bigger UHF antenna that RS sells. I suspect that this would just make the system more directional.
  3. Try an omnidirectional antenna. Where might I find such a beast (preferably locally)?[/list=a]

Any insight would be appreciated. I would be particularly interested in hearing about the experiences of others in Beaverton/Portland.

Jason
    [email protected]

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Jason,

I know that area a little, my sister lives in Beaverton. I was up there one year for the Indy car race.

Do you have a line of sight with both stations? or just the first group. If you can adjust the antenna for a good signal on the second set, then you just need a rotator. If you can't get a good signal, then the hills might be blocking your signal. In that case you will need a antenna with more gain (larger) and one that will reject reflected signals (more directional). If you can get a signal in the 100's from both sites, then a good omni-directional might work.

I'm confused by the channel numbers. Are all digital signals in the UHF range?

------------------

-Glenn

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glenn:

Thanks for your response. I can get the other stations if I reposition the antenna, at the expense of the original channels. That's why, given the strength of the signal (~100) when I have the antenna pointed correctly, I was wondering about people's experience with multi-directional antennas.

Note that some of the stations at the other location, such as PBS, can be received with an adequate signal strength (~65) anyway. The main station that I can't receive is the local ABC affiliate, KATU. I called their engineering department to inquire about their transmitter power, but no one got back to me.

Yes, all of the channels are in the UHF range. The first number that I listed is just the channel's analog VHF equivalent, for those in the Portland area.

Anyway, I'm going to make a trip to Fry's this evening, to see whether they may have a different antenna to try...

Jason

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Jason,

To get both locations, I would use a rotator. To get ABC, you may need a better antenna. A omni-directional antenna might allow you to get both locations, but I doubt it will get ABC any better.

------------------

-Glenn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.