AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realized I posted this up in the "sticky". So, I thought I would go ahead and start a new topic. Sorry for any confusion.

I have been scanning this forum, but there is too much information for an ignorant newbie to absorb. So, I thought I would just ask my question and hope it is not redundant.

Currently I am using a simple "bow-tie" antenna attached directly to the back of my HD TV. It picks up my local HD channels fairly consistently most of the time. But, occasionally the signal drops out for a few seconds, creating an annoyance. So, I am wondering if there is anything I can do to eliminate this annoyance. I don't want to place an antenna outdoors, nor do I want the hassle of a rotor...perhaps those are too many limitations

I saw this DIY project that was posted previously:

uhfhdtvantenna.blogspot.com

I was wondering if it would be worth the time and effort to place this home made antenna in my attic to solve this relatively small problem that I am having. Basically, I am looking for a simple, inexpensive solution.

If it helps, here is the signal strength data for my area:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps this next questions stems from ignorance, but....

Would it work if I built a second 4-bay antenna (or purchased 2 4-bay antennas) and aimed it in a different direction from the first? If so, how would they be wired to bring them "together" into one coaxial cable?

Is this asking for too much?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
You have three stations that are easy to acquire with an inexpensive antenna (16.1, 47.1, and 64.1). Unfortunately, a high gain antenna, pre-amp and rotor are required to receive a full set of network broadcasts. The easiest way to use two antennas is to run cable from both antennas directly to an a/b switch behind the tv. The a/b switch in turn is connected to the back of the tv. One can also selectively join channels between antennas with a "jointenna".

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
You have CBS, FOX, ABC, & PBS coming from Salisbury, MD.(Fox 21.2 is a subcarrier of WBOC-DT16; SD only though). These are the only stations that are easy to recieve from you location. I recommend an attic mounted Radio Shack U-75R (29.95) as an inexpensive solution.

WDRE-31 (My Network TV) would require a more expensive rooftop antenna and rotor. NBC is nearly impossible from your location without a sizable investment

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone!!!

Yes, currently I pick-up 16.1 (CBS), 21.2 (FOX), 47.1 (ABC), 47.2 (CW) and 64.1 - 64.2 - 64.3 (all PBS) with the "bow-tie" antenna on the back of the TV. I realize NBC is out of the question unless I want to invest a lot, which I don't want to do right now. The problem is the channels that I do get drop-out occasionally.

From what I am reading, it sounds like I may eliminate the drop-out problem if I place a UHF antenna in my attic. Am I interpreting everything properly?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdegree /forum/post/15426305

From what I am reading, it sounds like I may eliminate the drop-out problem if I place a UHF antenna in my attic. Am I interpreting everything properly?

A roof mount is always best but an attic mount probably will work in your situation. I suspect you have lots of snow on your roof right now...

·
Registered
1,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRick /forum/post/15426310

DR rules! Curious, where did you find the information about Fox 21.2 as a subcarrrier of WBOC?

WBOC actually comes in here quite frequently; especially in the warmer months. The most amazing thing is that I have an analog channel 20 only 4 miles from here pumping out 4000 kw.(WBOC-DT is on UHF 21). The 91-XG is an amazingly selective antenna!! Washington DC is well outside the predicted coverage area of WBOC.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DT1133127.html

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
kind of a late response to one of your questions. "two antennas pointed in different directions".......as a general rule, two UHF antennas pointed in different directions can result in a 3db loss of signal because the 2nd antenna is out of phase with the first. There is a device by Channel Master called a "jointenna" which will allow two UHF antennas pointed in different directions to work together, if the frequencies are spaced far enough apart.

Now, in the real world, sometimes it just works out OK ! Trouble is you have to experiment and buy the second antenna, more cable, and an antenna 2to1 joiner/combiner. So just follow the advice you have received and try a single antenna and work with positioning it to receive the channels that are local.

·
Registered
192 Posts
fdegree:

Is the bow-tie antenna you're currently using one of those removable type that attaches with a simple pair of U-shaped spade lugs? If so, the first thing I would do is hang that bow-tie at the very highest point inside your attic (keeping it away from metal siding or other metal if you have any), attach it to a 300-to-75 ohm adapter, run RG-6 coax cable from there down to the tv and see what you get (including moving the bow-tie around in a few different directions for optimum reception). You would need the RG-6 cable anyway for any attic antenna setup, and the improved height might eliminate your dropouts.

I'm not sure that NBC from Atlantic City would be out of the question for you. With the flat land in your area plus half the signal coming over Delaware Bay, I wouldn't be surprised if a properly-pointed CM4228 hanging from the highest point in your attic received 40.1/36 just fine. I'm able to pull 60 miles with a 4228 in my attic, with a decent-sized hill in the middle, about 15-20 miles away.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to everyone...your input is greatly appreciated!!!

gcd0865, your description of the "bow-tie" antenna that I'm using is correct, and you're right, I will have to run the RG-6 regardless. So, I may just try the "bow-tie" by itself and see what I get. Though I don't mind the DIY project either...I certainly have enough scrap around to keep it quite cheap.

Thanks again to everyone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.