AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally picked up a HD STB last night - Samsung SIR-T151. I also picked up a Zenith Silver Sensor, just to see what kind of reception I could get. My setup is in a basement of a raised ranch.

These are realistically the stations in my range, all live unless otherwise noted:

WPME 28 (UPN) 310.5° 7.27 mi (Application Pending)

WPXT 4 (WB) 310.5° 7.27 mi (Construction Permit 6/5/2003)

WGME-TV (CBS) 38 313.1° 16.82 mi

WCBB 17 (PBS) 34.3° 25.96 mi

WCSH 44 (NBC) 291.8° 25.86 mi

WMTW-TV 46 (ABC) 289.3° 28.26 mi (Digital signal only, rumor says early 2004 for HD)

WMEA-TV 45 (PBS) 242.1° 40.44 mi

With my Silver Sensor in the basement, I can pick up WGME and WCSH with a slightly better than 50% signal, and WCBB with a just barely adaquate signal with some antenna rotation. So, I'm thinking that I can get by with an attic antenna, especially given the distances even to the farthest station.

Now, I believe the WPXT date is generally accepted as being bunk. But, I defintely want that when available. So, I guess that means I need to consider a VHF antenna. I'm not sure if I should get an antenna now that does both, or is it a better idea to get UHF now, and then add a VHF later? I guess the advantage of doing it now is that I could get all my locals from a single antenna, even the non-HD ones.

Any suggestions of antennas I should try out? There is a Radio Shack near me, so I can try out their line. But, I don't think there is anybody selling Channel Master near me.

Finally, is there a maximum recommended length for wire? Since this is going from attic to basement, I'm wondering at what length I have to start worrying.

Thanks for reading!

Chris

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
The Channel Master antennas are easy to find on-line from several distributers. Have it delivered to your door! The combo UHF and VHF units should work fine in your situation but it looks like you will need a rotator to get them all.

The loss in 100 feet of RG6 is about 6-7 dB in the middle of the UHF band. Any longer than that you may want to use an ampliifier at the antenna end of the cable.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by NightHawk
The Channel Master antennas are easy to find on-line from several distributers. Have it delivered to your door!
My only concern about this is the hassle of returning one if it doesn't provide the reception I need. I was hoping to start out small, and work my way up until I found an acceptable antenna. That's why I was considering the Radio Shack line, it's on the way to/from work, so I can just stop off as necessary. (Instant gratification!)

I'll take a look around online though, and consider that. I'm guessing that Channel Master is the best option judging by most people's comments around here.

Quote:
The loss in 100 feet of RG6 is about 6-7 dB in the middle of the UHF band
Great, thanks for that info. I can definitely keep it under 100 feet, I just want to make sure I leave enough slack that I can remodel as necessary.

Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.