AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Having cut the cord with Uverse over the weekend, the wife and I would like to still get local channels - Netflix just isnt cutting it. Last night we went and purchased a Mohu Leaf Metro to connect to the living room TV for testing purposes if we would like OTA quality - it looks good to me for the 5 minutes of setup time. Now we want to hook the other 3 TV's in the bedrooms up as well, but not sure where to go from here. I will be running all new RG6 Quad throughout the house (currently no coax installed), we will have a total of 4 HDTV's:

Samsung 48" 6350
Sony 32" (7 yrs old)
LG 32" (3yrs old)
Soon to be purchased 40"ish

House is a single family ranch and I'd like to mount the antenna in the attic - roughly 10-12 feet from ground level. Also, we have a large maple tree on the west side of the house in the front yard about 25ft from the house and 25-30ft tall.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=f1f05a49991941

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Mohu Leaf Metro to connect to the living room TV for testing purposes if we would like OTA quality
Funny comment...OTA is 99% of the time better than the quality of Cable or Satellite because most of the time OTA doesn't compress signals nearly as much as cable or satellite. In any case if the Leaf worked, no reason to get rid of it, the only issue you might run into is that every time you split signal you 1/2 the power, but I would try it first and if you notice you lost stations you had before than consider a AMP from the likes of PCT (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F28DP2/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1426103369&sr=1&keywords=pct).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Funny comment...OTA is 99% of the time better than the quality of Cable or Satellite because most of the time OTA doesn't compress signals nearly as much as cable or satellite.

Yeah - didnt really know what to expect, we've always had cable TV - until now that is. We seem to be getting all the stations in that are in Green per TV Fool and I havent had a chance to fine tune the antenna placement, just stuck on the wall above the TV for now. Am I to assume that splitters for OTA are the same for cable - as in - stay away from the splitters at BestBuy/HomeDepot and go with brands such as Extreme?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Funny comment...OTA is 99% of the time better than the quality of Cable or Satellite because most of the time OTA doesn't compress signals nearly as much as cable or satellite.

Yeah - didnt really know what to expect, we've always had cable TV - until now that is. We seem to be getting all the stations in that are in Green per TV Fool and I havent had a chance to fine tune the antenna placement, just stuck on the wall above the TV for now. Am I to assume that splitters for OTA are the same for cable - as in - stay away from the splitters at BestBuy/HomeDepot and go with brands such as Extreme?

Thanks!
Doubt you'll see much difference in splitters, nothing fancy in them, just copper wires going from 1 port to 2 ports. But if you need to use an amplifier that's where PCT or Channel Master (made by PCT) is your best bets. The only thing you may need to be concern with is that attic installs can be a bit of hit or miss, as roofing materials in attic installations can cause signal problems...a lot of times it comes down to trying different locations in the attic...always best to install outside if you can. The maple tree could be a problem once the leaves come in, but you're closed enough to your stations that I don't think it will pose much of a problem.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I agree with bac522. Your signals are strong, but if you're concerned with losing signal strength when you use a splitter, then purchase a distribution amp instead. I own a Channel Master CM-3414, which splits the signal to 4 TVs without any reduction. I also have a few strong signals, and it doesn't overload.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts