AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate any comments that would help me limit the no. of HDTV antenna to consider for the following application:

Towers are 17-21 miles away to the east. Bearings are 88,98, and 87 degrees. Channel nos. are 55,56,58 for major networks, 22 for Fox and 38 for PBS. I would like to mount in my attic, but when I tried a VHF antenna previously the ghosting was so bad that I stuck with cable for local TV. I am in a lower area with a large hill 200 yards to the west. I suppose that I have a multipath problem.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stations will be all digital. They are not online yet. I would also be interested in finding a good VHF antenna to combine with the APS-U92 (or whatever UHF) so I can drop basic cable service.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Why not just try a combo UHF/VHF antenna (Channelmaster, Radio Shack, Wineguard) and possibly add a pre-amp before you start buying separate antennas. I can tell you from my expierence that your OTA analog reception will never be perfect. I can get 100% signal strength for a digital channel and the same analog channel looks like crap. You might just have to hang onto cable for a little longer until all of your stations are digital!

[This message has been edited by bmello (edited 09-04-2001).]

·
Registered
88 Posts
I used a APS model U92 in my attic and it worked very well. I am 20 miles from the towers here in the Boston area. U92 is very good at eliminating multipath. Take a look at it.

( http://www.antennaperformance.com/new/

I moved it to my roof so that I could get the PBS station that is 40 miles in the opposite direction.

I have used several antennas that are prominently mentioned and this one is the best.

Pat

------------------

HDjunky

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
don't underestimate a good booster if you don't have one already. i put a good channelmaster in the attic and it looked like crap. when i put a good amp on it i was amazed. i then added an even larger standalone 8 bow tie channelmaster uhf for great digital signal.

greg

------------------

-------------------------

Why does he shake hands with that guy right after he sexed the alligator

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.