AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a previous post said. I recently bought a Samsung T151. So I thought I'd see if I can get some DTV OTA. Well heres my little story.

Zip Code 47909. If you look that up on antennaweb. You will see that I have one yellow and a couple light green and a several blue and violet. Well I went out and bought a Silver Sensor Antenna from the recommendations I have read here. That antenna is UHF only and my Yellow is a VHF channel 11. Well so I thought I'd try and get the Indy stations about 50 miles away. It sort of picked up one, channel 25 ABC. In and out though, signal strength was about 10%. So I went to RS and bought a VU-90 XR antenna. I hooked it up in the Attic. Well now I point to the same channel 25 and get nothing, but all of a sudden now get channel 9 CBS. I tried to move the antenna to channel 11 the local CBS channel which is about 20 miles away. Still nothing there.

Anyone think a preamp will help my situation? Like a CM7777?

I don't have any tall buildings or much of anything in my way other than trees. Channel 9 out of indy is about 30 to 40 percent right now. (BONUS was that I did get to watch CSI tonight for the first time in HDTV. WOW awesome, my wife was impressed and thats saying alot. only had minor pixilization). Not that great. But none of the other channels come in at all. Wierd the the Light green channels won't come in yet the blue channel 9 does.

any suggestions? I didn't want to mount it on the roof. HOA wouldn't like it. I know the FCC has ruled it to be OK, but didn't want to finght the HOA. So I'm open to ideas.

Shane

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
50 miles is pretty far for UHF reception. I think a preamp is worth a try. Keep in mind that being indoors reduces your signal strength by about 50%, and if you're bordline to begin with on signal strength, that could put you over the edge...

You're probably having better luck with Channel 9 since the lower frequencies tend to propagate farther and penetrate building materials better.

I'd give the preamp a try, but the roof may be your only option for reliable reception...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I live in the Atlanta area about 40-45 miles from the main group of transmitting towers. I have a CM 3018 from Lowes (you can see it on lowes.com). It is a fairly large yagi antenna. I hung it from the rafters in my attic and get pretty decent reception. I also have the Sir-T151 and in case you don't know, halfway on the strength meter is as high as they go (basically 100% on another brand). I get better reception with it than with my RadioShack famous double bowtie on both analog and digital. I did find that with a directional antenna like my CM that the attic did funny things to the signal. At one point I let the rope slip and it was pointing straight up and picking up almost all of the channels. Anyway - you may want to try a yagi at your distance especially since you are in the attic (my wife refused outdoor mounting as well) and try different spots and angles. Also you may notice stronger signals when it is overcast and weaker signals when it is clear outside. Wind can also cause some problems. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.