AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, it's been a while since I've actually posted, but here's my situation. I live near Boston (about 40 miles from the towers) in Charlton, and I've tried every antenna from the CM 4228 to the Blake to a Radio Shack antenna and I can get PBS and ABC, but nothing else reliably. So, I've been looking for a new antenna to try.

I regulary get a magazine called "Handyman Club of America" and they have an add for a new "dish" type of antenna this supposedly works for 50+ miles and doesn't need to be pointed or "tuned" as they put it. The website is www.goxium.com. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this antenna.

It supposedly uses this new spilateral antenna technology that "greatly imroves signal strength" and "conquers ghosts, fuzzy pictures, and rooftop monstrosities."

I don't mind putting out the cash ($130 + $15 S/H), and they have a 30 day free trial period. I'm just wondering if it's worth getting excited about. I'm thinking it's not because I haven't seen anything about it on this site.

Thanks for any input you can offer. Thanks.

-Brian

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,683 Posts
I couldn't find any reference to actual use. It seems to be designed for applications where a conventional antenna would not be allowed, but a satellite antenna is, because that's what it looks like, a sat dish.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Probably the same company that came up with the device that plugs into an outlet and magically uses the electrial wiring in your house for an antenna.

Have you tried an antenna pro in your area? Sounds like you've wasted enough time it might be worth it.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At this point, it is totaly a function of money. There is a guy 4-5 miles down the road that has a CM 4248 mounted to the top of a pine tree about 60' up. I'm definitely convinced that height is all I need. I've tried the antenna all over the top of my roof (two story house) and I can't reliably get all the channels this other guy does. So, I know that all I really need to do is put up a tower of some kind to get around 60-70' up and I'd be fine.

The problem is that I don't have any pine trees to cut the top off and mount onto. By the way, pine trees are the only trees that won't die if you cut the top off. :( So, I've priced out putting up a tower and it would be something just shy of $1000, and I can't get the WAP (Wife Approval Factor) high enough (heck, it's at 0 for the tower). I'm just going to have to wait on E* or D* to start offering local HD programming. Charter Comm. in my area started promising HD content last year, but has put that program on hold for some STUPID reason that I don't know.

Is there any way to use a BUD to get local HD reception out of the network broadcast companies?

-Brian

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
If it doesn't look like a conventional antenna, it usually won't work like a conventional antenna. IOW, there are no "breakthrough" OTA antenna designs, AFAIK.

It sounds like you need more height, and/or a better antenna + preamp, and maybe a more sensitive OTA tuner.

What tuner are you using?

Have you tried a preamp like the CM 7777 ?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've seen the antenna. Its design is based on the theory that not everyone will bother to send it back when they discover it does nothing better than a random piece of wire. This guy has made a mint off of those devices that couple your power line into your TV antenna terminals, bringing in random signals from all directions, none of which are of any use.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Beefcake:

You said you tried everything, but did you try two horizontally stacked Blake's or Televes?

For me going from one Blake JBX21WB to two horizontally stacked JBX21B's made all the difference.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've tried the following antennas by themselves:

CM 4228

CM 4248

Radio Shack UHF Yagi Antenna (about 3 feet long)

Blake 21

Out of these, the 4248 did the best. Nothing else would even pull in a single channel. I was using one of the newer (as of March 03) Samsung HDTV boxes.

So, then I tried to stack (horizontally and vertically)

CM 4248

Radio Shack UHF Yagi

It seemed like the horizontally stacked pair of CM4248 held the signals it got better than one of them, but it still didn't get all the signals I'm looking for.

I'm just tired of trying this and that and everything else. I've been using the CM7777 preamp in all configs as I would not see any picture without it.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Beefcake:

I admire your perseverance; sorry you don't get any luck.

Perhaps you'll be better off waiting for the new tuner chip sets such as Lynx due late next year.

Good luck.

BTW, I have great reservations about the spilateral.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by [email protected]
I've seen the antenna. Its design is based on the theory that not everyone will bother to send it back when they discover it does nothing better than a random piece of wire.
Actually, according to www.ripoffreport.com, it's based on the fact that they are impossible to return without an RMA and it is impossible to get an RMA since nobody answers the phone or reponds to emails.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Quote:
they are impossible to return without an RMA and it is impossible to get an RMA
Oooh...worse than I had imagined. I'm always amazed at the longevity of these guys.

Quote:
Perhaps you'll be better off waiting for the new tuner chip sets such as Lynx due late next year.
I spoke with a Zenith rep recently and he is really excited about the next generation of chips with respect both to sensitivity and ability to reject multipath.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Beefcake:

I think technically a Redwood tree can survive with the top cut off as well. At least that's what the Arborist who shaved 30 odd feet off of his Redwood said.

Of course, if the Redwood dies, that means my line of sight to my nearest transmitter will improve.

That makes it kind of a win/even better win situation for me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I spoke with a Zenith rep recently and he is really excited about the next generation of chips with respect both to sensitivity and ability to reject multipath. [/b][/quote]

I wonder if their current stock of OTA receivers will be upgradeable to the

new chip. However, since they are on the 4th generation chip already,

I think this will be like the computer industry: 6 month obsolescence.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Beefcake
I've tried the following antennas by themselves:

CM 4228

CM 4248

Radio Shack UHF Yagi Antenna (about 3 feet long)

Blake 21

Out of these, the 4248 did the best. Nothing else would even pull in a single channel. I was using one of the newer (as of March 03) Samsung HDTV boxes.

So, then I tried to stack (horizontally and vertically)

CM 4248

Radio Shack UHF Yagi

It seemed like the horizontally stacked pair of CM4248 held the signals it got better than one of them, but it still didn't get all the signals I'm looking for.

I'm just tired of trying this and that and everything else. I've been using the CM7777 preamp in all configs as I would not see any picture without it.
Have you tried a different receiver? I get much better reception with a MyHD 120 card than I ever did with a Zenith box.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.