AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a rotor driven antenna tilt mechanism today. I plan on mounting the rotor 2 ft below the antenna and using a cam and linkage to drive the tilt. I will post pictures as soon as I have it installed.

Does anyone know if I attach a collar to the boom of the antenna, will that screw up reception? I have the cm4248 and plan on attaching a 1" Stainless clamp collar to the antenna away from the arrow end. Are there any issues with transfering the wave from the receiving bow ties back to the 300ohm studs? I am out of my expertise here. I know there are a few here that have built there own antennas that should know something in this area...

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I am building some tilt systems right now, they would have been finished by now if I had not gotten side tracked by other projects. I'll post some info as soon as I can. They will be suitable for use on just about any antenna. I will be setting up a web site and offering them for sale, if anyone is interested. The main design constraints will be; durability, corrosion resistance, low weight, and low cost.

As to the collar, it should not be a problem. You want to avoid any horizontal projections that could become a active element.

Good luck with your project.

------------------

-Glenn

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Peter, That's interesting, I did not know the bowties can be mounted sideways or is it an illusion?

------------------

-Glenn

·
Registered
136 Posts
Glenn,

Remember the topic we had way back? On how to tilt an antenna. Do you remember TPFARR "Tom"? He had his mounted in his attique. Same Channel Master 4221 bowie like mine.

I believe he used wood and made a "T", I cut a 4ft mast that can be bought from Home Depot and made a "T" drilled and bolted it together. And then used u-bolts to attach the bowie antenna to the "T". Now that the antenna is tilted, it works like a charm. No problems at all! Oh by the way, I was standing under the antenna when I took that picture..hehehe.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are the pictures. As you can see there is a rotor mounted horizontally about 2 feet below the antenna. I attached a wheel to it that drove a linkage up to the antenna. I achieved +/-10deg with this setup. Its easily adaptable to do more.

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/image_uploads/ant1.jpg

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/image_uploads/ant2.jpg

Unfortunately, it didn't help me a bit. I got the same signal rate throughout its motion.

Fortunately, I figured out that it was the other tilt: making sure the elements are exactly horizontal. A little background: I was having problems getting a lock on CBS while all my other channels were coming in fine. I must had been off by about 1 degree before. As soon as I made a small adjustment, my signal meter went up from 35 to 55. I was amazed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.