Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, guys!

I have a big question and then a small one. I have a Toshiba 50HX81 that hookup to a UltimateTV PVR/DirecTV receiver. I want to see HD broadcast. I live in an apartment, so indoor antenna is a must. What is your recommend on how to get myself into the HD broadcast playground?? If I want to see HD on local channel, DirecTV is NOT the way to go, right?? (I live in Dallas, TX.) Also, I know UltimateTV does not record HD program. But, that's okay. Anyway, I just want to enjoy the HD quality picture, like many of you are right now!

Another question is small. I know Toshiba has the DST3000 as HD tuner. But, do I have to use it? What is the benefit of using the same brand? What should I look for when shopping/researching for a HD tuner?

Guys, thank you very much for your advice and comment! Anything is welcomed and is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would, without a doubt, rush to your nearest Radio Shack to see if they have any Double Bowtie antennas left (they've been discontinued). It costs about 17.99 and will likely be all the antenna you'll need in Dallas. I know there are several of these still available from RS, but you'll probably have to hurry to make sure you get one.

From my understanding, ChannelMaster also makes one that's supposed to be almost identical, so all is not lost if you can't find one at RS.

As for STBs, I'm perfectly happy with my Sony SAT-HD100 running with my Toshiba 65HX81. The problem is, you'll find there's really no good way to integrate the PVR with the HDTV-- at least not if you're like me and don't like switching sources all the time.

I have no experience with any of the other STBs so they all may offer the same features, but the one thing I really like about the Sony is that my OTA stations (and cable as well) are all part of the same program guide... and with it's Variable output (1080i/480p) I never have to switch which output res I need.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why a Double Bowtie antenna?

Also, what is OTA?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
The double bowtie is somewhat legendary for it's over the air (OTA) reception. It's really cheap and seems to blow away the powered antennas (especially the Top of TV variety). I'm using one with no amplifier and am receiving the HD signal from a tower 60 miles away.

I've got to warn you though... it's really freakin' ugly.

-L

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hello djshag.....I just founda double boe tie in my locval radio shack....and itis ugly...but cool. I am getting my tv in the afternoon on sat and I jut wanted to know if it is just good for uhf. I know it says it is a uhf ant , but I have heard of people using it for vhf also.....wat do you do for vhf????

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.