AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty, here's a wiring question, that might be a little confusing, but bear with me.

In this house I'm renting, there was an existing roof antenna with what could almost be termed as two separate set of elements on one pole. The signal wire is only connected to one set of the elements. Do I have to do anything special to hook up the second set of elements into one single antenna line?

The first set of elements are lined up in an outward direction, pointed in the direct of the main signal towers. (presumably more suitable to pick up VHF signals) The second set of elements is vertically spaced but with more elements in the vertical plane, i.e. going up. From looking at the other antennas online, this seems much better for UHF reception, but this is the set of elements that isn't connected by any signal wire.

Now presumably it is all one antenna set, its just missing a couple of wires, I think. But that's just it, should I be able to just connect some wire to the UHF elements and splice them together with the wires coming from the VHF set of elements?

TIA,

-J

------------------

Tho!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Others will correct this if wrong, but my understanding of your post suggests that the elements that are not connected are properly so. Those elements are part of a reflector. So, they act not as active elements, but to assist the active elements. They reflect the signal to those wired elements. My guess is that the antenna is already properly wired and that you should not try to wire the other elements to the antenna lead.

------------------

-Jason

·
Registered
425 Posts
While on the subject of antenna wiring, I put up a Radio Shack UHF antenna (chimney mount, 10-foot pole)before I left on vacation, but didn't have time to complete the connections. I plan on running cable from the antenna to my Directv satellite dish where I will use a signal combiner so that I do not have to run a new line into the house. A splitter will be used at the Sony HD-100 to feed the UHF digital signal (if I can get one) into the decoder. I also purchased a generic signal amplifier (which was recommended). My plan is to put the amplifier at the antennae lead end, with the electrical connection happening down where the receiver is. I think I understand all of this.

Question. Will I run into any problem when I temporarily disconnect the satellite dish and plug it into the signal combiner along with the UHF signal cable? My understanding is that the dish is receiving a constant signal from the Sony for signal acquisition/maintenance purposes. I don't want to lose my satellite signal permanently or do something wrong here. I'm thinking of asking a professional to come over and help, but is this really necessary? This is my first try at digital UHF signals and I'm hoping it goes O.K....

·
Registered
750 Posts
DeanS,

First, you shouldn't worry about disconnecting the satellite lead. The receivers are robust. What could happen is that it might take a few minutes to reset itself or re-load the guide.

Second, by "combiner" and "splitter", I hope you mean diplexers (of the combiner and splitter variety). That is, there are specific products made for combining an antenna and satellite. You cannot use a generic/regular splitter or combiner. Technically, combining (using a diplexer) the antenna and satellite will lower the signal strength of both compared to a solution where you have two separate cables. But, many have done this and have had no problems at all.

------------------

-Jason

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by JasonATL:
Others will correct this if wrong, but my understanding of your post suggests that the elements that are not connected are properly so. Those elements are part of a reflector. So, they act not as active elements, but to assist the active elements. They reflect the signal to those wired elements. My guess is that the antenna is already properly wired and that you should not try to wire the other elements to the antenna lead.
Thanks for the info,

Now I'll have to figure out some other way to get better UHF reception. Curses!

------------------

Tho!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.