AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I am hoping this thread will help me and others better understand how to make this all work.  I have an old TV with only UHF/VHF CONNECTION.   So when I bought this Mag 535 I had to do away with my digital converter box and my converter remote that had Volume, Mute, Previous channel and Channel display of next show to be aired.  I never had to use the TV's remote for anything but off and that is not so inconvenient since most people get up to turn off the TV or I could switch to the sTV's remote but that button is not used as much as the others.  Those are used constantly.

Now I have this NEW Mag 535 that cost a lot of money and I am forced to use the remote because it replaces the Digital Converter box and you cannot  connect them both the Modulator and the converter box to the mag vice versa.  So now the Mag is your Digital Converter (Tuner) Box and it has none of the buttons I mentioned in the begining of the post.  And Yet this Mags remote has a Keypad with an alphabet.   I have looked and there are no other learning remotes with an Alphabet keypad  so you can completely change remotes.  except for The dish remote at Walmart for $30.00.  And I do not know if that will work.  No one has been able to answer me completely with a for sure it will work response.  This is the remote I am referring to:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/IR-UHF-DISH-UNIVERSAL-REMOTE/21000304

Other than that the Anntenna Connection to Modulator seams to be working fine. 

At first I had a problem with my erasing all my preset timer recordings because curiosity got the best of me and I went into general settings and switched the Channel>Auto Channel Preset>From Antenna to Cable ( Analog) and let it run and it ERASED all my work  of inputing four pages of movie and names of shows I wanted to record.  So I am glad I found out so I won't do that again.  You can however  re-run the Antenna channel preset as many times as you want if you aren't getting a signal on a channel and it won't erase your Timer Recordings of shows to be recorded.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

For those who are following I should Receive the Atlas 5 Learning Remote next week I got a price on it through the Walmart Market Place $8.71 free shipping.  Thankyou.  "  "

That dealer did not have the remote afterall.

I purchased the Atlas 5 for $15.73 new on Ebay Model number 1056B01.  mDavesj' post says this one should work.  I think he's the remote man.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

THE HDD IS A TEMPORARY STORAGE LOCATION; NOT A PERMANANT LOCATION OF RECORDED CONTENTS.  BE SURE TO USE IT AS A TEMPORARY STORAGE LOCATION UNTIL YOU have watched the programs ONCE, edit them, or dub them to DVD.

PAGE 42 of THE OWNERS MANUAL     MAGNAVOX MDR535   HDD & DVD RECORDER with DIGITAL TUNER.

I learned this today something I was unaware of.  Ok It's DVD Time.  What are the best economical DVDS' FOR THIS DEVICE?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag1993daewoo  /t/1522475/antenna-with-tv-s-that-o...eir-digital-coverter-boxes/0_60#post_24493514

THE HDD IS A TEMPORARY STORAGE LOCATION; NOT A PERMANANT LOCATION OF RECORDED CONTENTS.  BE SURE TO USE IT AS A TEMPORARY STORAGE LOCATION UNTIL YOU have watched the programs ONCE, edit them, or dub them to DVD.

PAGE 42 of THE OWNERS MANUAL     MAGNAVOX MDR535   HDD & DVD RECORDER with DIGITAL TUNER.

I learned this today something I was unaware of.  Ok It's DVD Time.  What are the best economical DVDS' FOR THIS DEVICE?

"Economical" (read cheap) DVDs are seldom the best choice.

I use JVC/Taiyo Yuden 8x Premium Line DVD-R DVDs in all my Panasonic, Magnavox and other Funai manufactured recorders. There are several online sellers for Taiyo Yuden products. I prefer SuperMediaStore.com because they have free shipping for $50 + purchases:

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/jvc-taiyo-yuden-jdmr-zz-sk8-silver-lacquer-8x-dvd-r-media-premium-line-tape-wrap-100pk

The best advice for Magnavox owners is to visit the first post in Wajo's sticky thread, the gateway to a wealth of information:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnavox-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575/0_60#post_12244086

Wajo addresses DVD media in this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnavox-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575/0_60#post_12298494

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

http://www.supermediastore.com/cart/show

Are these rewriteable?  Also, I am getting confused by the mags 533,535,537,manual page 67.  Everytime I look there I am still confused about which discs I can use.  It says You can use DVD-R on the left side of the page then on the right side of the page it says in the Unplayable discs area that the DVD-Ram or DVD-R

OM or not playable.

And it says DVD-R and DVD-RW recorded in VR mode or non compatible format.  I think that is when it is recorded by another device and used in the Mag that won't be happening here in this Mag535.

Do those Discs have the logo (DVD video)with a picture of a disc?

You see, I am also getting confused because for my computer I only buy the write that cannot be written over because those are for the operating system if it should crash and are put in a safe place are rarely used again.  But they are very expensive.  Like $12.00 for 5 in a jewel case.  They are Archival Grade DVD-R  and have a proprietary reflective layer system, and 24ct. gold protects the data from corrosion.

That is not the case here for recording movies right?  I want something that is rewriteable, but a good quality, and a lot of them for a good price.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
As mentioned earlier I use DVD-R media. My use is always for archival purposes so I do not use RW media. I use DVD-R because Panasonic recorders are less friendly with DVD+R versions while Magnavox, Philips and Toshiba recorders are equally friendly with DVD-R media. My archive of home-recorded DVDs now has more than 14,000 DVDs. I usually keep around 2,500 to 3,000 Taiyo Yuden 8x Premium Line DVD-R media on hand for use in my stand-alone recorders.

In my opinion retail grade 16x media is satisfactory for use in computers or for duplication, not for use in stand-alone DVD recorders. RW media is unsatisfactory for archival purposes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

That is certainly a large collection. Now does only ONE, 2hour Movie fit on 1 disc?  If recorded in the default mode mine is SLP and that is probably what I will be using.  Also,  the other day a really good movie was on TV with special effects like Superman The Movie !978  Big screen.  Something like that I would want the best mode for recording, what mode would that be?

I already recorded that Movie in SLP to HDD and have not edited it yet.

Buy the way, this Mag has the most precise editing I have ever seen, right down to the blank, black frame before the next seen, it gives you the ability to make awesome frame cuts.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag1993daewoo  /t/1522475/antenna-with-tv-s-that-o...ct-their-digital-coverter-boxes#post_24497157

That is certainly a large collection. Now does only ONE, 2hour Movie fit on 1 disc?  If recorded in the default mode mine is SLP and that is probably what I will be using.  Also,  the other day a really good movie was on TV with special effects like Superman The Movie !978  Big screen.  Something like that I would want the best mode for recording, what mode would that be?

I already recorded that Movie in SLP to HDD and have not edited it yet.

Buy the way, this Mag has the most precise editing I have ever seen, right down to the blank, black frame before the next seen, it gives you the ability to make awesome frame cuts.
The 2 hour record mode is SP. For anything 2HRS and under, it's best to use SP, especially if you have or are planning to get an HDTV. All recordings-regardless of the rec mode you record a show/movie in, are Standard Definition, so you want the best quality SD recordin you can get.

SPP mode is the 2 1/2hr record mode.

With LP the 3hr mode.

For disposable recordings-watch and erase, you could use SLP-4hr, but the picture quality won't looks as good as the higher modes. And will look terrible when played back on a flatscreen tv.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

So, let me see if I understand.  The Superman Movie Is 2:11:01 long so I should have recorded it in SPP.  Is that so it will fit on one disc or for quality. Or is it for quality, and will need 2 discs.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I have made my decision on Disc's to record movies with.  I use these for my HP and Dell computers  and also for making music CDs for my Sony CD player. I have never had a problem with this brand.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Verbatim-DVD-R-4.7GB-16X-AZO-100pk-Spindle/8207324

I don't know why this link won't work I have tried to fix it, but this is where I am buying these.  They are $20.99 for 100 pk.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag1993daewoo  /t/1522475/antenna-with-tv-s-that-o...ct-their-digital-coverter-boxes#post_24498683

So, let me see if I understand.  The Superman Movie Is 2:11:01 long so I should have recorded it in SPP.  Is that so it will fit on one disc or for quality. Or is it for quality, and will need 2 discs.
For a 2 hr 11 min movie with no commercials, using SPP, the 2 and 1/2 hr mode, is best. SPP mode recordings up to 2 1/2 hrs will fit on a single disc, with picture quality closer to SP mode. And can be dubbed to disc in High Speed, rather than doing a Real Time dub, which means the Mag plays back the entire title while dubbing it disc for however long that title runs..in this case, the actual length of the movie.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag1993daewoo  /t/1522475/antenna-with-tv-s-that-o...ct-their-digital-coverter-boxes#post_24498729

I have made my decision on Disc's to record movies with.  I use these for my HP and Dell computers  and also for making music CDs for my Sony CD player. I have never had a problem with this brand.

Great choice on using the Verbatim 1x to 16x AZO discs in your stand alone as well as in your PC. I’ve been using them exclusively in my 5-year-old RDR-HX780 stand alone HDD/DVD recorder and my initial burn failure rate is something like 1 out of every 175 discs. My disc longevity rate so far is 100% meaning 0 discs went bad so far. Knock on wood but my 5-year-old stand-alone still hums like a new machine with no noise or slippage.

Many folks think that the Verb 1x to 16x AZO discs are only good for very high speed burners because of the max 16x rating but to the contrary - the Verbatim 1x to 16x AZO discs work really well with aging and/or slow speed burners. In fact if you surf the web you know that a large number of folks swear that the Verb AZO 1x to 16x discs are the best you can get for 1x real time burning.

In my opinion these are the perfect discs for stand-alone recorders, real time or multi-speed. I dread the day they will become discontinued.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Another thing I like about them is that  they have a color system that make filing and finding them easier.  Like the PC One's are Orange and the CD one's are Green, and they have Purple also.  I should have went with the purple this time to distinguish between the PC and the Magnavox.  You can choose a color to use for a specific device.  The one I chose for copying  my PC's Recovery Operating System are Actually Gold.

But I decided on  Innovera Jewel Cases at Walmart for $6 for 25 of them so you won't see the orange color on these anyway.  So the Innovera will be for Movies only.

The one Music CD I made on MY PC with Verbatim CD's Green  12X CD-RW;  I have played hundreds of times and it works like day one on my Sony player and it sounds like it was bought it in a music store.   I was able to purchase them at Best Buy.  And of course I had to make sure the Music Download was all good.

Verbatim means Word for Word and I also hope they are never discontinued.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye  /t/1522475/antenna-with-tv-s-that-o...ir-digital-coverter-boxes/0_100#post_24500259

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag1993daewoo  /t/1522475/antenna-with-tv-s-that-o...ct-their-digital-coverter-boxes#post_24498729

Great choice on using the Verbatim 1x to 16x AZO discs in your stand alone as well as in your PC. I’ve been using them exclusively in my 5-year-old RDR-HX780 stand alone HDD/DVD recorder and my initial burn failure rate is something like 1 out of every 175 discs.

That's interesting. For years I have been using the T-Y 8x premium, but "recently" Amazon has had the Verb AZO discs at very reasonable prices, and I purchased about 1500 of them. I have gone through at least 500 of them and between a number of Panasonic DMR EH50s and EH55s, I have not had a single burn failure. A few years ago I changed my burn rate from maximum to what Panasonic calls "silent mode". I'm not exactly sure what that is in terms of write speed, but I suspect it's either 4x or 6x. Anyway, I haven't had a single failure with thousands of T-Ys, and now with the Verbs, so I was surprised that you have had a one in 175 failure rate.

I have a DVD duplicator that has a test function, and I run every disk I make through it for "consistency" checking. I haven't had a failure since I changed my high-speed write speed from max to silent. When it was set to maximum, I had about a one in 200 failure rate with the T-Y disks (that's all I ever used back then).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I only have 20 of these 10 are the ARCHIVAL GRADE WRITE ONCE for the computer system; the other 10 are for home made Music CDS REWRITE; until the 100 pack get here those will be for movies.  But I have used 5 of the ARCHIVAL GRADE off and on Since 2010 when I bought my First Laptop and they work good and I have had no problem with the other 15 Discs.  I know I don't have a lot, but I do count on the ones I have;  that is why I decided to stay with this brand.  And I have had no failure with the Verbatim.  Even when I go to the store and ask the TECH MAN what Discs should I use for this Device they pick the Verbatim.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I just found all the information on Verbatim Discs on The Walmart.com Website under:  Verbatim Discs 100 pack Orange spindle.  $20.99 March 19,2014 at the bottom of the page FROM THE MANUFACTURER it lists in detail all the discs they make and what to use for what devices you may have.

It turns out that the DVD-DL Purple are the recommended disc for VIDEO because it have longer recording time each disc.  However they are double in price.  So I can see now why everyone is buying the 100 pack spindles for 1/2 the price and also why they may be filling up their HDD drives.

I my self have bought the 100 pk of recordable DVD-R Orange; I might have to use more discs but it is economically feasible.

I hope I have made the right decision in buying this Magnavox and that these Discs are going to work out without having to buy the expensive ones.  The DVD-DL Purple is like way to much money to record movies on.   I would use those for movies like Return of the Jedi or something like that, but even then the TV interrupts the movie with what is coming on next at the bottom of the screen.   So I am better off just buying those types of Movies without recording them at all.    I don't know I would record it anyway if I didn't own it on any disc I could.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

So, You have actually recorded MOVIES on the Verbatim Orange DVD-R Recordeable AZO Disc that I put in the link above.  Because I just ordered some and I was just wondering even though they are not the DVD-DL Purple  or the Blue Ray for recording HD Moives that the Orange DVD-R RECORDEABLE AZO ones are going to be ok?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
You just spent $300 on a dvd recorder. Go on craigslist and spend $50 for a TV with composite inputs. You can find newer Sony/Panasonics, that are better than that Daewoo, pretty cheap nowadays. Heck two summers ago I bought a 32" Sony built in 2003 for $25. Great picture for a SD tube tv and even has a s-video input.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

This Daewoo may only have an antenna input but it is a very good color Television and the only reason I am going to buy another TV is because I know this one is getting to old and will quit one of these days.  I got it for $25.00 in 2009.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts