Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a Winegard 9095 in my crawl space and I get all 4 digital stations at about 86-97 signal strength with my Sony HD-100.

I do get the most annoying drop outs! every 3 minutes or so! What is going on?

My Location is Lat: 42° 20' 13" N Lon: 71° 25' 7" W

I should be only about 10 miles from the towers...

I ordered a CM4221 to try. I am might also return the 9095 and try a Winegard GS-2000 which is what titantv recommends for my attic.

--

David

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I get drop outs from CBS (30) and NBC (42) Fox and ABC are almost okay but I have yet to try to watch them for a long period of time yet.

--

David

·
Registered
98 Posts
Recently, a technician told me that it is possible to receive too high a signal OTA. The drop-outs can be a result of overloading. I am told the solution to tame your signal strength down is simple buffers from Radio Smack. I am experiencing the same problem so I will let you know if I am successful.

------------------

David

·
Registered
196 Posts
To Sedon:

The Winegard 9095 is a basic corner-reflector UHF yagi with what appears to be a half-wave dipole driven element.

I have found that full-wave folded dipoles seem to work better in this regard, or bowties (such as the CM 4221 uses).

Go to www.projectorexpert.com and read the article "Long Strange Trip", which at the end details the modifications made to a similar Channel Master antenna (3022 suburban yagi) to fix reception problems and boost gain.

KC

·
Registered
739 Posts
KC,

I have read your articles recently and after my recent experiences (plus being a Ham at one time) I conclude that I think you are right. When I first obtained my HD-100, I searched this forum for info on antenna experience. Long story short, my goal was to try and only use an indoor antenna. I purchased a RS indoor Bow tie. It is two "ties" plus reflector. I did this as before doing this, I tried a piece of wire into the HD-100 and by moving it around several times I was able to lock into three local channels.

I was surprised to be able to do this as I am behind a hill to the transmitters. I knew any reception would not be a direct path. I then obtained the Bow tie. I found a spot (on top of my tv of all places) that allowed 4.1, 5.3, 7.1, 9.1,2 and 3 and 13.1 here in the Seattle area. I must move it to optimize the signal levels as I cannot reliably get all without doing so. Subsequently, I have found a better "sweet spot" on the floor in front of the TV stand. So I watch it this way.

However, 5.3 (which has the best signal level) drops out every 5 to 20 seconds. I then tried the Silver Sensor and it was not as good as the bow tie. I then tried a RS 2162 34 element UHF antenna in an unused upstairs bedroom. No better! I will resist putting it up outside a I am now convinced that nothing will be better than the Bow tie on the floor in this location, I can only hope that the transmitters will get a little more robust as I don't think there is really any difference between the capabilities of any STB with regard to receiving DT.

What is strange is that it appears there are many people in the Seattle area who are having 5.3 problems with the HD-100.

Bill

·
Registered
26 Posts
In my home theater installation business I have run across plenty of HD receivers that have drop outs because of weak signal on one or more channels. I have never seen or heard of one that dropped out because of excessive signal. Some of my installations have rooftop UHF antennas that have clear line of site view of the transmitter towers near Los Angeles with extremely high indications on my Saldelco signal level meter and never lose perfect lock. Ever. Antennas that are indoor or attic mounted and lose HD signal lock would be suspect because these locations are 10-90% weaker than rooftop locations. Indoor or attic locations are much more prone to problem causing localized interference (ie: blowdryer, microwave, big cousin Bob walking in front of the antenna) and multipath as well. Pre-amps cannot help situations such as these and preamps are generally a poor subsitute for raw passive signal strength from a properly installed roof mounted antenna in the free and clear. Excellent, time tested, antennas like the CM 4221 and 4228 (my top picks) are small and can be mounted usually in such a way to be unobjectionable.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by neilneil:
In my home theater installation business I have run across plenty of HD receivers that have drop outs because of weak signal on one or more channels.
neilneil, please look at AVSF Thread and see if you can assist Ray H with his problem.

------------------

Wendell

Technical Services Supervisor

MAETV

[This message has been edited by Wendell R. Breland (edited 04-10-2001).]

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

So tonight I replaced the Sony box with a RCA box and there have been no drop outs at all.

To those that thought that I had a low signal, I never had less than a 87 in the signal strength menus on the Sony.

it just had drops on some of the stations. maybe I will get the Panasonic and try that out or live with the RCA for the time being (and the picture shift) but prob the Panasonic until something better comes along.

Maybe Sony can help me. I will try another one out of the next batch.

Anyone have any thoughts on this new twist?

--

David

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sedon:
I ordered a CM4221 to try. I am might also return the 9095 and try a Winegard GS-2000 which is what titantv recommends for my attic.
It will be interesting to hear your results using the CM4221. I believe the GS-2000 antenna is bi-directional, therefore could cause more problems than it cures.

------------------

Wendell

Technical Services Supervisor

MAETV

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.