Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I normally spend my time over at the Home Theater Computers Forum, so forgive me if this has been asked and answered before.

I just moved into a house in Santa Clara and have a large antenna at the top of a very long pole on my roof. I want to get into OTA HDTV reception, but the Antenna needs a little TLC. Can anyone recomend a good company that will come over and sort out my antenna. THe antenna looks OK apart from a missing element, but the cabling is shot, especially to the rotator. I also need a control box for the rotator.

All help very much appreciated.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I live in Belmont and I am having a devil of a time figuring out the best antenna for OTA HD. If you find a company that specializes, please let me know.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
148 Posts
mrizzo,

I live in the East Bay (Hayward). I just got mine semi-setup this afternoon, I bought the VU-190XR antenna from Radio shack (maybe a little bit overkill), I have it setup about 10 feet above my single story house. I'm getting channel 2-1 KTVU,4-1 KRON,7-1,7-2 KGO, 20-1 KBWB, 20-2 KNTV,29-1 KPIX,30-1 KQED,36-1 KICU, 45-1 UPN...actually watching Saving Private Ryan right now on full digital, wow... I thought for sure I was watching a DVD movie. I have a Samsung Over the Air only receiver which has a little bug (waiting for a file so that I can update it) otherwise it's well worth the $500 investment. It blows my Satellite reception out of the water.

-Jeff

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do does anyone know a local company that does antenna installation work ?

·
Registered
710 Posts
I've posted a few times periodically looking for a similar recommendation in the North Bay, so if anyone on here knows the secrets of Bay Area antenna installation, fess up!

There was one recommendation on here in Novato, but when I called them up they said the guy that used to do them died. Tells you something about the state of OTA antenna expertise these days.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I found someone with a company called Remtronics. I did not personally meet him but he sounded knowledgeable and came to my house that day to do a survey.

I also called Andersen's TV, they said their service department could install Antennas.

I am thinking of buying a Field Strength Meter and doing it myself, if you are in the bay area and are interested, maybe we could get together and help each other. (share the meter and learning, also help mount)

Mark

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info.

I am OK with the technical side of this, I am just not that keen to go climbing on my roof.

As for the signal strength meter, I am going to rotate the antenna to get more stations, how will a meter help. Do the rotator units have preset positions ?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Whats the advantage to having a rotator and directional antenna vs having an omni-directional antenna? Seems to me the Omni directional antennas have pretty good range but a lot of people on these groups seem to install a rotator and direcitonal one.

is the VU-190R a "directional" antenna? It doesn't say so in the description but nor does it say omnidirecitonal like the disc one does. so i'm assuming the default is "directional" unless otherwise specified?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mrizzo
I live in Belmont and I am having a devil of a time figuring out the best antenna for OTA HD. If you find a company that specializes, please let me know.

Thanks,

Mark
Mark -

I live in Belmont also, and I'm afraid we're in the "dead zone". I cannot get any decent signals off the Sutro tower, even with an amplified roof-top antenna. And I live up in the hills (Carlmont area). Robert Jones, who use to own Stereo Wizards in Belmont, said we're in never-never land, reception wise, in most parts of our town. :(

If you come up with something that works for you, please let me know, as we're missing out on some good OTA HD programming these days.

Duke

·
Registered
286 Posts
Innerloop:

My dish installer claimed they do antennas. He's out of Novato. If your interested:

Earl Sullivan

Pacific Satellite

883-7700

I can vouch for his fearlessness!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Duke

Mark -

I live in Belmont also, and I'm afraid we're in the "dead zone". I cannot get any decent signals off the Sutro tower, even with an amplified roof-top antenna. And I live up in the hills (Carlmont area). Robert Jones, who use to own Stereo Wizards in Belmont, said we're in never-never land, reception wise, in most parts of our town. :(

If you come up with something that works for you, please let me know, as we're missing out on some good OTA HD programming these days.

Duke
I'm another Belmont resident (in the Carlmont Hills) and I can't get ANY DTV from Sutro (using DTC-100), even with a big amplified rooftop antenna with rotor. The two San Jose stations come in perfectly, but there's never anything on worth watching. Channel 20 from SF is carried on a second SD channel, but has herringbones and looks worse than analog channel 20 off cable. Sigh...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Robert2413 -

I'm getting exactly one OTA HD station. TV 36-1 (which is UHF channel 52). I think they broadcast from the East Bay (Fremont?). Their signal is really strong, I hardly need any antenna at all. THe ChannelMaster omni-directional Smartenna I have on the roof is useless here in the hills of Belmont.

Thanks for the feedback.

Duke

·
Registered
599 Posts
Try calling the local T V Stations.

Ask for engineering

Ask for the youngest guy in the shop

Ask him if he freelances

Offer him 50$ and some beer

Or

Call the local cable company

And repeat the above steps

Good luck

·
Registered
189 Posts
I live in Palo Alto and am in the process of installing antennas specificaly for DTV.

Given that we have two major TV antenna sites - Sutro and Mission Ridge, and that they separated by about 110 degrees at my location, a directional rooftop antenna pointed at Sutro is going put Mission Ridge in a sidenull. Not a GOOD thing. You must either rotate the antenna, or use two fixed antennas that are combined to a common feed line. That is the approach I choose to use for the DTV channels. I am mounting two 4 bay bowtie antennas low on my mast under the normal vhf/uhf antenna. I will use a preamp on the Sutro antenna and none on the Mission Ridge antenna as signals from there are very strong and there is no multi-path. The feed line will go to a double diplexor and share my satellite cables. Did not quite get it all going yesterday as I received the wrong diplexor for powering the preamp from the satellite receiver. Maybe next week.

This is not going to help our friends in Belmont - they need their own Sutro Tower.

Don Cone

·
Registered
98 Posts
Call Dick's Antenna, 408-268-6814, in San Jose. Two or three years ago, we wanted to replace the old antenna on our house and get an additional feed into the living room. Dick and his son looked at the antenna and our reception and recommended keeping the antenna, but adding an amplifier. We went with it, and they installed the amplifier, added a couple of feeds to additional rooms, and put in under-the-house speaker wiring in the living room to handle surround sound(hidden wires got big WAF). All works well.

A few months latter, the antenna rotated in a wind storm, so I called Dick. His son came out and locked the antenna down at no charge.

The summary is, good work, no rip-off, good follow-up service.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks,

I'll give 'Dick' a call :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I live next door in San Carlos in the hills above Dartmouth and I get all of the SF stations well.(Just borrowed a friends STB) with my roofmount antenna. I was suprised. Couldn't get the digital AC-3 sound to work however, just analog out.

Results may vary.

jim

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chesterdad
I live next door in San Carlos in the hills above Dartmouth and I get all of the SF stations well.(Just borrowed a friends STB) with my roofmount antenna. I was suprised. Couldn't get the digital AC-3 sound to work however, just analog out.

Results may vary.

jim

What type of antenna are you using?

:confused:

Duke

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have been playing around with my antenna location and have found a sweet spot. I am currently using the largest UHF Yagi that RS sells on a 10' mast.

I am able to receive most of the major networks, having a little multi-path problems with CBS (signal on my HiPix reports 85 but I still get choppy reception). I am going to purchase a CM 4228 to see if that will quell the multi-path demons.

More info as I get it. I will post a full station list I am receiving and any topo info if people are interested.

Mark

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.