AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I work for an AV company in Baton Rouge, LA, and we have a customer that lives about 100 miles north of New Orleans where WWL is broadcast. They're trying to pick up this station, on an onkyo 509 receiver located in their living room. The station is broadcast on 870 AM and 105.3 FM. They would prefer the AM station, but if I can get it FM... you gotta take it how you can get it. Problem is, no antenna I have tried works with this onkyo 509. They have an old Lennox Sound receiver in the bedroom that picks it up GREAT with NO ANTENNA AT ALL! I'm a little stumped.....

·
Registered
233 Posts
Perhaps there is a problem with the receiver itself. You mentioned being able to tune the station from another device in the home. If you can tune it from a car, and other devices, I'd suspect the problem is not the antennae, but rather a problem with the receiver. Can you tune in any other am or fm stations with the receiver using any oh the antennas you've already tried?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can use the factory "wire" antenna to obtain FM stations pretty clearly. The AM antenna does not pick up any stations at all in that part of the house.

May I add, this is new construction, and the attic has been completely insulated with spray in insulation. I know this has some effects on the signal, but how, if I can use the other tuner to get the same station in another part of the SAME HOUSE with out an antenna at all? Just curious...

Thanks for all of your assistance!

·
Registered
233 Posts
OK, fm works on the receiver. I'd trouble shoot the am on the receiver by moving it to a known location where you know you get am reception. First location, in the house, and if no signal, then I'd try it outside.

·
Registered
233 Posts
That station has a webcast, I'm actually listening to it right now on my iPhone. Why do you prefer the am version over the fm version? In my car I listen to a talk radio station and the audio quality is better on fm than am.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I use a Terk and have for years. Much better reception and tuneable for AM and FM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.