AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to add a VHF-only antenna to my UHF-only stack in the near future. Some of my stations are fringe (75 miles), a few are mid-range (35-50) and one is close (20.) I plan on using a CM-7777 preamp, as I couldn't find a high-gain Winegard that has separate inputs for UHF and VHF (I'm open to suggestions, here.)

Looking at Stark Electronic's web site, I see the largest selection of VHF onlys is from Antennacraft, a company I have never heard of. How do they compare to Winegard and Channel Master?

I also would like to keep my boom length at 10' or less, so the ultra biggies and combos are not a good idea.

Also, how hard would it be to connect the two antennas to a single antenna preamp input? Is it really as simple as using a signal splitter in reverse?

Thanks for your wise replies!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Scott,

Antennacraft products are comparable to CM and WG.The have their own lines,and OEM for several other antenna companies.

I think stark still stocks the Winegard PR 5030 VHF,which is what I use,and it should work well for your 75mi VHF stations.I think some of them have 85 mi coverage areas.

The CM7777 preamp has seperate inputs for V/U,so you won't need any splitter backwards or a combiner.

A VHF antenna should be mounted below the UHF around 4ft so they won't interfere with one another.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Tandy makes Antennacraft. Tandy owns Radioshack. You can do the math.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I use a Antennacraft MUX-59 UHF antenna for OTA HD. compared to the largest Radioshack UHF only antenna the Antennacraft antenna brings in a 10-15% higher signal strength than the RadioShack. And it looks cooler to. The Antenncraft antenna has a better build quality than the Radioshack but not quite as good as the Winegard VHF antenna I have on the roof. I had the largest Radioshack UHF/VHF model that when a crow would perch on it the element bent. The Winegard has not had that problem in a year of use.

Rick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.