AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Radio Shack amplified indoor antennae that I was getting fairly good HDTV reception with. Lately I have a lot of dropouts and problems-especially after 10PM EST on CBS (maybe they reduce their signal). Does anyone know if adding another amplifier to my antennae line might help keep the signal (before I try an outside setup).

Thanks,

Blaez

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Since one of the best things about Radio Shack is its return policy, you could try it. I for one would be very surprised if the signal to noise ratio would improve though.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
Your problem is most liikely due to a poor amplifier built-in already, adding another will make it worse. You need to first get a good passive (no ampilfier) high gain antenna working well outdoors - then you most likely won't need an amplifier at all. Dropouts due to multipath are caused by signals bouncing off the indoor walls, get the antenna outside!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for info. I did add an amplifier with some improvement-but not great. Interestingly enough, there is a new home that was built across the street from my home and I believe somehow this has affected my signal-may be time to consider an outdoor rooftop antennae, unless I find out that Adelphia Cable will offer HD soon. It is like going backwards-I am old enough to remember all those rooftop antennas from years ago-But HDTV is so awesome (On a Toshiba 65" Director Series with integrated HDTV).

Thanks,

Blaez

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
Yes, it is indeed strange to have to use 1950's style antenna technology to receive 21st century HDTV. The best antenna designs are still the old-looking all metal models, not the fancy expensive plastic sticks - they don't work well at all compared to the older designs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.