AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody use this preamp?

I was wondering how it compares to others. The noise figure of 1.7/2.0 beats the 2.8/2.0 advertised by the CM7777.

Gain is lower at 18.4/17.3 for the CPA-19 compared to the 23/26 for the CM777.

It also claims high overload resistance and appears to be cheaper than the CM7777 at some sites.

Cany anyone with more knowledge give some thoughts on it? With the low noise figure, shouldn't this pretty much be lower than any tuner you hook it to, thus helping the SNR?

·
Registered
98 Posts
ive been wondering the same thing myself. anyone have any experience with this amp? ive searched numerous sites and forums but to no avail.im thinking of using this amp with either a DB2 or a CM4220HD indoors.thx in advance.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I've been using a CPA19 on my 91XG for several months.

I find it to be a very capable amp given I have a 1,000 kW station 12 miles away (slightly off-axis by about 20 degrees) that doesn't overload the system while trying to get the rest of my local UHF stations from 18-25 miles over a really big hill.

It feeds a a distribution amp about 75' downstream that then supplies the household outlets. Can't complain. It certainly does the job.

Once the weather breaks and I have time, I can climb my ladder to the 91XG with my handheld spectrum analyzer and take some screenshots of before and after readings if there is an interest.

·
Registered
279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruser /forum/post/15444925

Does anybody use this preamp?

I was wondering how it compares to others. The noise figure of 1.7/2.0 beats the 2.8/2.0 advertised by the CM7777.

Gain is lower at 18.4/17.3 for the CPA-19 compared to the 23/26 for the CM777.

It also claims high overload resistance and appears to be cheaper than the CM7777 at some sites.

Cany anyone with more knowledge give some thoughts on it? With the low noise figure, shouldn't this pretty much be lower than any tuner you hook it to, thus helping the SNR?

Unless you live in an extremely quiet rural location, the lower NF of 1.7dB for VHF will be of little to no benefit. Man made noise, even at hi band VHF frequencies, can easily reach 3dB in many city and suburban locations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.