AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone out there with OTA HDTV experience living north of the San Francisco area. I live in Petaluma, around 35-40 miles north of the Sutro Tower where all the digital and PBS network stations are generated from, and it has been impossible for me to locate anyone with UHF antenna expertise. One guy at "Good Guys" in Santa Rosa suggested the topography north of the Bay made it difficult to impossible to receive the Sutro Tower stations in the Petaluma-Santa Rosa area. Just on a lark, I am going to try the British "Silver ----" that so many have raved about on the forum. Does anyone out there have some real time experience with OTA HDTV reception that can share it with me?

Peter

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cycles:
I am going to try the British "Silver ----" that so many have raved about on the forum.
Peter, Can not comment on your area but 35 miles is a bit much for the Silver Sensor. Do a search for 4228, 4221, 3021, & 4248. This should provide you with a bit of information.

------------------

Wendell

Technical Services Supervisor

MAETV

·
Registered
432 Posts
Peter,

I'm also in Petaluma. I have receiving OTA HD for about 8 months. Currently using the Channel Master 4248 with CM pre-amp and DTC100. I'm getting good results. Talk to Steve at Basham's Electronics in Santa Rosa (527-6000). As you will find there is very little OTA knowledge in our area. E-mail me with any other questions.

Marty

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, Marty, I have already notified him and put the wheels in progress. I will report on my attempts. I do not have your e-mail address as you suggested to communicate if I had further questions. Mine is [email protected] .

Peter

·
Registered
94 Posts
Peter,

I live in San Ramon and decided to try the OTA game with the following results. Note that there is a ridge between me and the Bay, so my expectations were quite low.

I installed a CM4248 and CM 7775 preamp using the CM IR controlled rotor. Height was about 8' above my roof line. I sent a letter to the Homeowners Association informing them of my intention and cited the FCC ruling exempting them from preventing me from mounting the antenna.

I borrowed a prototype Zenith STB from a friend for the test. Here is what I got:

Channels 57, 56, 45, 30, 29, 24 from Sutro tower.

Channels 61 & 35 from Sacramento

I was surprised with the results. I have decided to wait until Zenith releases their STB and will probably get that one.

Good luck,

Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom Lewis (edited 06-23-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.