AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone on the forum has experience erecting an antenna in an apartment community. I live on the first floor of my 3 story unit, face the opposite direction of my broadcast towers which in Miami, FL are only 4-5 miles away from me. Indoor reception where I live with dozens of high rise condos is out, even with the coveted Silver Sensor. So, my signal strength will be no issue, but I need to know if anyone has masted an antenna above 3 stories on a rental property. Please help, I want my HDTV!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Before going through the trouble of masting an antenna, are you sure an indoor won't work. I live in Manhattan and get great reception with a $1.99 RS uhf antenna. I face oppisite the towers and I am surrounded by way more tall buildings then there are in Miami.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Do you have any antenna system on the building? If not, sometimes (if you are on good terms with the landlord/manager) you can work something out. You could also try getting them to let several people go in together on a common antenna.

(When are we going to get the right to Equal Reception for ALL?)

Forgot to mention....though not exactly "legal", you might get someone on a higher floor to let you put a small antenna (even a Silver Sensor) on their balcony. Just have to hide the wiring well.

·
Registered
461 Posts
You are screwed. No WAY will they let you put up a mast or even an outdoor antenna for an apartment.

I rent a house and I didn't even ask, I just went ahead and planted a 40 foot mast and antenna, but for an apartment? no way.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Steve, where in Miami are you? I just checked antennaweb and also found that i'm 4-5 miles from the transmitters! I am in your shoes as I type. I live in a second floor apt. and I am wondering what kind of reception I can get from an indoor antenna. I would think that being so close to the transmitters we would get great reception, but around here there are many condos and buildings. Have you found anything that works since your post?

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Give it a try. I'm in an apartment and get good DTV reception.

If most of your digitals are UHF, check to see how your analog UHF reception is. If it's reasonable you should get decent digital reception.

The newer STB from Zenith/LG, Motorola, and Samsung seem to do the best in indoor environments.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.