Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Finally bit the bullet this week and upgraded my whole h/t system.

Went from an Anthem AVM20v2/MCA-5 to the Statement D1 and A5 combo.

Speakers went from a Studio 100V2, studio CC, ADP and Servo 15 to the S8, C5 and Sig Servo all in the stunning birds eye maple.

Wow! What a difference!

My questions here is should I have gone with the P5 amp instead of the A5?

My listening ratio is 80% h/t 20% music.

Is it worth the difference in price?

More importantly, will I hear a difference?

·
Registered
617 Posts
I have a D1 and P5 on order. I did a short audition of an A2 on 2 ch comparing to P5 in 2ch. Running a set of Studio 100's v3 there was a small change in the bottom end. Seemed quicker, tighter. Since I was doing the swapping can not say for sure that I would have heard it in a blind A/B. Again this was on a very fast audition. Decision to go with the P5 was based on, how much I had already spent on speakers, sub, D1, TV and the % bump in system cost to get the P5 rather than A5. Dealer gave me a slightly larger discount going with the P5 than had been agreed to on the A5 which helped since the retail package for the D1, P5 and servo 15 was 12,200.

I am also considering going with a speaker upgrade next year and wanted to make sure that no matter what speaker I selected there was plenty of power. Having too much does not hurt, not enough is another matter. Did not want to cut a corner and regret it in a couple of years.

Congratulations on a very nice system!! Don't figure I helped, seem to be very few P5 owners out there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Very nice system and congratulations. For me, the AVM-30/MCA50 and Studio series was a stretch, but an investment I love every minute.

I would think with the S8s I would have gone with the P5. Given the amount of money you were spending, it just didn't seem like that much more as a % to really make those S8's shine. S4s or S2s and I would have stayed with the A5. However, given that you are using the Sig Servo, I would imagine the biggest difference is in the low end (volume/control) and not so noticeable with the Servo in play. If you wanted to listen to the S8s full range without the Sub, then I think the P5 would have been the smarter choice.

That being said, why did you "upgrade" from the MCA-5 to the A5. Power is about the same and I doubt you would really notice any difference between the two. Unless you were doing it for cosmetic reasons...

Congratulations again, and enjoy those speakers most of all!

Jon W.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Jon,

The upgrade from the MCA5 to the A5 was for 2 reasons.

1) Cosmetic.

2) Sold the MCA5 together with the AVM20.

The S8s are set to small on my setup, that's why I initially felt that the A5 was sufficient power wise.

It is still actually sufficient because after watching a movie last night at moderately loud volumes, the A5 got barely warm.

The upgrade to the P5 is so that I can get perhaps that last 3% in sound quality and the last 5% in headroom/power.

Honestly I don't know if it will make a big difference since I have my D1 crossover set at 70Hz and the Servo handling the bass.

And of course the P5 will keep me happier for a longer time knowing that I have the top of the line.(for now;))!

·
Registered
66 Posts
David,

You do know that the P5 requres 2 dedicated lines run for power. That may complicate your install and make it not worth in in the end. I am actually having some problems with voltage drops on my 15A line with the MCA-50, so I can relate to the need for these amps to have dedicated lines to the box. It sucks when you have your TV and DVD player on, turn on your stereo and your whole system shuts off because the amp turns on and the line volatage drops below 100V.

I would get the P5 and change the crossover settings for music/vs movies. I would imagine that a crossover around 30-35Hz for music would work well with those speakers with that sub.

Have fun and good luck with the wait for the P5.

Jon W.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Having the crossover set at 70 Hz really does take the load off the amp.

One of the big reasons I went with the Studio 100 v3 was that I REALLY liked their sound better set to "large" as compared to Studio 40's v3 with a P2200 filling in the bottom end. Used the 40's as reference because thought they were better balanced than the 60's for music. I had originally not even planned to get a sub. Realized that if I did not get a sub that my son would never learn not to tap on a fish tank (Darla in dentists office from Nemo) not having felt the thump the fish feels. Guess that I could tell him no but then having the sub is a much better real world object lesson!

I would try crossing the S8's a little lower and see how you liked it at least for music. D1 makes that easy having separate cinema and music profiles per assignable on a per input basis. At least that is how I plan to try it when my D1 arrives.

As you said, only go around once, if the only satisfaction you get is knowing that you are getting the very most from your speakers that is something.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I don't think you will notice any differences between the A5 and P5 if you use your S8 at "small". The P5 is maybe a little bit "faster", but sonically, the differences are really small. The advantage of the P5 over the A5, when paired with the D1, is the incredibly low noise-floor of both units paired together.

My dedicated room is totally isolated from house noises, so I can really enjoy this awesome silence in soft parts of a track, and the absence of any noise in the background. I think that w/o a treated room with total control of house noises and electrical contamination, the P5 doesn't have any advantage over the A5.

If you have a fully treated room with 2 free dedicated electrical circuits, and total control in your electrical path over ground-noise, and an electrical panel independant from the rest of the house (free from electrical "contamination"), then the P5 will outshine the A5, when paired with the D1. Else, I would go with the A5. You really need the set-up to enjoy the P5 fully. Or, if you are like me, you just want to be sure you are never out of power... And ready for any future upgrade...

BTW, I love my P5. With the Paradigm Signature speakers and the D1, I'm in audio nirvana...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Levesque,

I'm also in audio nirvana!!!

I'm find myself going down to the music room just to hear the setup every now an then, just like getting a fix!

It's true that I may not hear an audible difference between the A5 and P5 but what the heck, I'm going for it.

My room is not as sound proofed as yours but being in the basement, it's very quiet down there.

Have you gotten your Sig Servos yet?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidM5
It's true that I may not hear an audible difference between the A5 and P5 but what the heck, I'm going for it.
:D

The P5 is a beast. You will never be out of power that's for sure, and ready for any future upgrade...

And don't try to move the P5 around alone, or you will break your back! :D

Have fun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.